Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Terrible sleep issues

Right now Sydney is tired & crying in her crib, she doesn't know how to fall asleep on her own, she is 4 months old & needs to learn very soon, she sleeps with me, falls asleep nursing & in th eday in her swing, it's very hard when we're out or at someones house like my mother-in-law because she gets so overtired & hysterical, the comfort nursing doesn't always work what do I do.

I cant stand it, right now I'm trying to ler her cry 5 minutes & pick her up to calm her then put her back in, so hard I think she must be wondering whay she's in there, I need serious help !!!!!!!

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Terrible sleep issues

It was sometime between 4.5 and 5 months that my son "let me know" he was ready to fall asleep on his own. I was rocking him like I always did for naps and he was fighting me and getting crankier, so I layed him down in the crib (swaddled), patted him a bit and said my "good nites" and he went to sleep.

Obviously this will not happen for everyone, but what I'm saying is she just might not be ready yet. If you rock her to sleep, can you then transfer her to the crib? Have you tried elevating her head (carseat, or raise the mattress a little by putting pillows or blankets under the mattress?

For your MIL's house, I would have suggesting getting the Travel swing since you are there often, but who knows how much longer she will be in the swing. You could get the FP Aquarium Cradle swing (I think that's what it's called) for MIL's house, and I hear with that one there are not bars that she can reach so you can use it longer. If you are at their house a lot, you should have some kind of sleep solution there for her.

I'm sorry if these suggestions aren't any help - every baby is different and I think you just have to keep trying things until you stumble onto something that works. Does she have reflux? Is she still having trouble with the formula? Could be tummy troubles...

I feel for you, I know this has been difficult for you and I hope you and Sydney get some rest soon!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

We recently did buy a travel swing for my MIL's house, it's cute but it's to slow & it has hanging fish , it's a good toy for her but to distracting to sleep in, at home we have the Ocean wonders swing u are talking about & lately she doesn't always want to go in it now right away, I have to let her comfort suck a little while first.
    Before after she fell asleep nursing I carried her to the crib but she wakes up right away, a very light sleeper ! Because I tried to get her to nap in the crib she now missed a nap & it will be harder after she eats soon to sleep, I'm dreading trying again. My mother thinks she should be out of the swing by now, she's says she's spoiled because she can only sleep that way, I dont think that's
    spoiled . It's not easy to let your baby cry, i know I give in to quick !

I asked the doc about reflux she said the baby would be in pain, Sydney jsut spits up all the time MESSY !

thanks for your help :)

hobey Guest

Traci:

Sydney is definitely NOT spoiled if she can only sleep in the swing. Please don't let your relatives make you question what you feel is right for her.

As far as the sleep issues, could she be too hot or too cold? We found that DS tends to be cold during the night so when we put him in a blanket sleeper, he slept better. We also transitioned from percale to flannel sheets and used a heating pad to heat the sheets since the shock of the cold sheets resulted in him waking up right away crying. Do you swaddle her? It may help if she tends to startle herself awake. My desperation move is to put DS in a sling and carry him around until he falls asleep. You could try wearing her to sleep and just putting her down with the sling. A friend of mine also did this with his Baby Bjorn--he just unfastened the Bjorn into the crib and let DD sleep on it.

I too am blessed with a heavy spitter. Nathan has very mild reflux so we're managing it using elevation. We put one of those universal crib wedges under his crib mattress and in his bassinet and it minimizes spit up while sleeping (always guaranteed to wake him) and seems to help him sleep sounder.

Hang in there! I hope some of my suggestions help.

Raquel
    Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

she is too young to be doing any sort of sleep training with her. Pick her up and soothe her to sleep. You might want to get a sling so that you can move around while she sleeps on you.

Follow your instincts, don't let her cry in the crib.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Traci, what you describe is very normal for a 4 month old. My DD fell asleep nursing until she was almost 6 months old. And even then, it wasn't until she almost 8 months old that she would do it consistently. Some babies fall asleep on their own at that age, but I think it is the exception rather than the rule.

I think you need to forget what others are saying and follow your instincts. Listening to your MIL, etc., is only going to drive you crazy. Believe me, I've been there! It is VERY hard to be out and about with a young infant, and the more you can stay home and get a routine established (especially without a critical audience), the happier you will be.

Good luck!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

22tango Guest

For another reference point, Karenna didn't start really sleeping on her own until 8 or 9 months old. It's HARD! We do know. Every baby is different -- and you know your own baby BEST. If Sydney doesn't sleep well without a swing, then go ahead and use the swing. If she'll sleep best in your arms then try using a sling. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for responding to your baby!!!

I also believe 4 months is too young to try to sleep train -- I'd wait a few more months! We waited until Karenna was old enough to understand concepts like "naptime" so she would know WHY. I could never let her cry when she was younger and had no concept of why Mommy or Daddy would pick her up sometimes and not othertimes!

Default So everyone thinks I should still use the swing

I really thinks she sleeps best there, I just dont know what to do when we're not home for hours, I feel like she is almost in pain because she's so tired & cant sleep & I get so anxious, I feel sometimes like it's not worth it to go out. I really do love her sleeping with me, my husband just worries that if we contine to let her sleep there she'll be there until 2 or 3 years old, also my doc said to get her out of the bed, I know that's her opinion !

Torey Guest

Let her sleep in the swing during the day. It won't hurt her and you can always turn it off when she falls sound asleep and just let her sit there. Our DD slept in her swing for months. I can count on one hand the number of times she slept in her crib during the day before the 6 month mark. Like a previous poster said - get a sling or carrier for the times that you are out of the house and just wear her around - she'll learn to sleep quite comfortably there. Trust me, they are too young to learn (some do it naturally, the rest just have to get older before they are ready to nap well). And don't fret about nursing her to sleep - try to anticipate when she will need to nurse/and be slightly tired so you can find a quiet and dark room to nurse her in (if you are out of the house). My DD nursed to sleep for over a year (until she weaned herself) and now magically goes to sleep on her own.

papal Guest

Default Seriously, change your pediatrician!!

Traci,
    Forgive me if you think i am being too harsh but i honestly honestly honestly think that you need to change your pediatrician.
    She tells you to start solids at 4 months and now she tells you to get Sydney out of your bed... i don't know.. just does not sound right to me.
    And i agree with Beth, go with YOUR instincts.. nobody elses. If you cannot stand to see her cry then pick her up. She is too young to be trained and if you do start then you have to be very patient and very consistent.
    Also, if she does not fall asleep at your MILs or anywhere else then don't go. She is just a tiny baby.. she needs ALL the sleep she can get.... i think it is really unfair to her if she keeps getting overtired. If she could speak I am sure she would be yelling 'Mom, I am tired, take me home, please!!!".
    Anyway, that is just my opinion. Hope you don't mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast