Default What should I replace on a used Medela Pump-in-Style? Are newere versions MUCH better?

I got a used PIS from a friend...it's a 1999 or 2o00 model (the packaging says "1999" anyway) and am wondering what I should replace to be sanitary...just the tubing? Can I properly sterilize any of the parts?

Also, I don't think this model has the "autocycle" feature - it does have the adjustable 5 speeds but I keep reading online about the "new" autocycle feature - does this make THAT much of a difference? I have read plenty of great reviews from users of the original model but I don't think I know anyone who has tried both.

Thanks!

Default RE: What should I replace on a used Medela Pump-in-Style? Are newere versions MUCH better?

you can simulate the "autocycle" by starting the pumping at high speed and low suction and then after let-down turn it to low speed and higher suction. I learned that here from Lori, she'll be along to this thread any minute now I suspect. :)

You should replace everything from the motor on out, so that is all new tubes, "horns", valves, etc. They can be sterilized, but things like thrush are hard to get rid of. It's really up to you and your own comfort level and how well you know your friend. If your baby is a preemie or has any medical issues, you might not want to chance it at all.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03