Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nitaghei Guest

Default RE: Ending pumping? Need validation!

Oh, Traci, hang in there!! You've had so many stressors that I didn't, that I'm impressed you're still trying. I do hope things get better for you soon. The first couple of months were so hard for me - even with a tremendous support network - and I almost gave up. Just keep the goal manageable, and take it one day at a time. Good luck, and do let me know if you want support.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

I am right there with you both on this issue! Caleb is now 1 and I'm finding that since we were out of town for his bday and I didn't pump at all for 5 days I am getting a LOT less when I pump and it is stressing me out majorly. I've had to pump early AM in addition to 3 times at work to get enough for him since about 7 months, but I always got between 16-18oz at work. These days I've been getting 8-10! It's so frustrating. We haven't started cows milk yet. I think he got some at the sitter's house and had a red rash on his bum the next day that has not gone away for over 2 weeks. It's odd though, because he eats tons of cheese and yogurt without issue. Anyway, I'm tiring of the pumping sessions but am in no way ready to give up BFing. He still nurses 5-6 times per day and I don't want to lose my supply all together. I need to start introducing either cow's milk (seeing the doc tomorrow about the rash, so we'll see) or soy milk but have no idea how. It's also bitter sweet in that as much as I HATE pumping I've always loved that I could provide everything he needed to drink all these months. I'm still not sure what to do. I think for now I'll continue to pump but not freak out when I don't get what I need for his bottles. Then perhaps soon I'll go down to just once per day at work to ensure that supply remains OK. I don't know....
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Nita,

I stopped pumping at work a few weeks ago, and it was SO weird! I actually had several "false starts," where I planned to stop pumping, and then just couldn't do it! I carried the pump with me to work for a week after I stopped, just in case I needed to pump. But, I can safely saw now that I am glad I stopped, and DD is no worse for it. Go for it!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

nita, i actually thought you had stopped a month or two ago! didn't you post about leaving the pump at home?

i'm still a few months from where you are, but i'm going through similar questions about cutting back from 3 to 2 times a day. as much as they are tossing at daycare, i could easily cover what he is currently taking with 2 pumpings but i can't seem to let that third one go. paranoid that he will suddenly want more (not that that would be a problem since I have almost 300 oz frozen!) just silly, i guess.

maybe start slow? pump every other day?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

nitaghei Guest

Shannon,

I returned the Lactina in December when I went down to pumping once a day. I've been using the Isis since then. Couldn't stop because I have NO stash whatsoever. And it took this long for Neel to start drinking cow's milk.

But I stopped pumping as of yesterday. WOO HOO! It feels great!!

If Jack's cutting down, it might be time to cut back on pumping. I think Neel dropped to one bottle around 9-10 month mark - but I kept pumping twice a day for several weeks after that. So I do understand how hard it is to let go. But your supply is established at this point, and you could always go back to pumping 3 times if you find yourself dipping into your stash too frequently. Just a thought.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lynne, the red bum could be because Caleb is lactose intolerant - that sounds like what Colin had. Other dairy doesn't bother Colin, but even a few ounces of cow's milk does. We use whole milk Lactaid now, and he's fine!

Also, it is VERY normal to get a lot less when pumping at this stage!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Thanks Lori! The doc didn't mention this possibility. She suggested starting out with soy milk and trying cows milk again in a month. She actually would prefer that he get breastmilk and no other milk as long as we can! Nice to hear from a ped, but depressing at the same time due to my decreased output. :( I think I'll make one last-ditch effort to increase the pumping output with some extra nursing and fenugreek this weekend and if that doesn't work we'll "supplement" with soy for now.
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2