Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mia31 Guest

Default BFing but give formula once in a while?

Hi there,
    I'm exclusively BFing, but once in a while if I'm out and didnt bring EBM and cant "whip it out" I'll give DD a little formula. (I carry the singles for emergency)
    Will this make any long term differences with the BFing? She'll get it maybe once a week, and she'll drink about 2 ounces, then when we get home I'll finish BFing her.
    Thanks!

Default RE: BFing but give formula once in a while?

It depends on the age of your baby. If baby is less than 4 months old, every ounce of formula is a signal to your body to make that much less milk, and to a newborn those two ounces are significant. So it could affect your supply now or down the road when the hormones from the birth are gone (~4 months) and your body is making milk based on the memory of how much baby drank the first 4 months.

If your baby is older, say 6 months or so, then it shouldn't affect your milk supply. But at that age will baby be satisfied with 2 ounces? Also at that age babies can be more patient and wait a little bit for a feeding sometimes.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Mia31 Guest

Hi Karen,
    She's almost 15 weeks old...I will usually also pump too after I feed her to make some extra storage, I wasnt concerned with supply, i was more concerned with her and the formula. I didnt want the formula to effect what the breastmilk is doing for her body.
    thanks!!

here is an article about that

http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/virgingut.htm

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jen in Chicago Guest

I did this 1-5 times a week. Daily we tried a bottle of EMB or formula, and it never hurt the breastfeeding.

Mia31 Guest

wow, great article, thank you!! Looks like i'll be pumping away before going out!! (:

mharling Guest

Ditto. :)

Mary
    Lane 4/6/03

Mia31 Guest

How often would you give the formula? was it just when you were out and about?

BethS is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Same here and we've had no problems. Jack usually will have a bottle of formula twice a week sometimes more sometimes less. I get very little when I pump so this has worked well for us.

Mia31 Guest

Same here...If i try to pump in between feedings it's only a few ounces.
    Do you feel giving formula a couple of times will interfere with the Breastmilk and everything it does? It seems like it wouldnt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast