Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: BFing after dentist?- mercury issue

OK, now I'm kind of freaking out and don't know what to do. DH thinks I'm overreacting and that you can find something bad about anything you do, which I agree to a point. The mercury thing is just such a hot debate these days. I would hate to give up on BFing already - DS is only 5 mo, but I don't want to put him at risk either.

I wish my dentist would have let me know before he was going to remove the filling. Although, he was aware of my mercury concerns when he asked what kind of filling I wanted and I asked about problems with the silver and mercury. Wouldn't dentists know this is a problem with BFing if it's that serious? My dentist seems very concerned and educated about health issues and dentistry. Maybe I will call the ped. to see what he has to say.

Thanks for sharing you knowledge - where did you find most of your info, the internet?
    Stacey
    Mama to DS '03
    DD '06
    and DD '10

for Samuel

westchicagomom Guest

Default RE: BFing after dentist?- mercury issue

Yes, the internet, and you have to wade through a lot of garbage to find anything that looks remotely scientific because it is such a controversial issue. For example, if you google "fillings, breastfeeding and mercury" the first thing that comes up is a pamphlet from the National Health Ministry in Australia which recommends that BF moms not have fillings replaced, "however" if they need to have it done, then there is no scientific evidence that shows any real cause for concern. In this day, everyone has to be so careful as to not say anything which might cause a lawsuit. Until something is proven, dentists really probably can't say much about the mercury issue. I just think it is really interesting that all these warnings have been reiterated recently about mercury in fish and nothing about this issue. For the vast majority of people/kids, there probably is no reason for concern. It would have been much worse if you had this done during pregnancy because the mercury crosses the placenta. DD already was subjected to mercury then via 2 Rho-gam shots I received - so that is why I am a bit more worried about this. I should have lived in an age when all this information was not available - because in this case, ignorance is definitely bliss!

Pam
    Mom to Lilabeth (9-03)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2