beth will Guest

Default Zantac and reflux

My two week old baby nursed like a champ at the hospital, very happy. After a few days at home he started showing signs of reflux. Went to lc and he breastfed but didn't show any signs (of course). Went to ped. and he didn't show any signs. But at home he has all the classic reflux symptoms. Here's my question .. I finally got my ped. to prescribe zantac -- but my son spits it out. It tastes and smells awful .. I'd want to spit it out too! Any suggestions?

HelenD Guest

Default RE: Zantac and reflux

We had the pharmacy flavor it with grape which helped a little, BUT, the best advice I can give you on this is to just keep at it. Eventually you figure out the best way for your DS.

We use a syringe (they gave us one w/ the prescription for dosing- obviously there is no needle) to shoot it to the back of the throat. We then hold a cloth diaper to DD mouth to catch what comes back. If I think it's too much, I will re dose w/ about half the normal dose. If I think she got about half, I'm happy.

Good Luck

papal Guest

It does taste pretty awful! My dd doesn't mind it though.. but to prevent any coming out from the side i shoot it with the syringe into the back of her mouth and immediately give her the pacifier to suck on for a minute or two.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It helps to chill it. Some pharmacies also have a recipe for compounding it from crushed pills, and that tastes fine.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

Carson hated it in the beginning, too. We use a syringe and give it to him laying down on the changing table. Steve used to blow into his nose as soon as he "shot" the Zantac in the mouth to make him swallow and not spit.

About 2 months into taking Zantac, he began to like it... Hang in there, it'll get better.
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We use a syringe (as previous posters suggested) and that helps a lot. We give DD Prevacid--which is strawberry-flavored (or berry-flavored).