missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Are we making a big mistake? TV while eating

As I recently posted in the Bitching forum, Gwen hadn't gained any weight in the past 2 months, and we're trying to work through some real feeding issues. In an effort to make mealtimes less of a struggle, we've started letting her watch Baby Einstein videos while we feed her (this is the only time she watches them, so it's kind of a treat). Gwen has always eaten best when distracted, and it had gotten to the point where one of us would frantically be trying to entertain her while the other shovelled food into her mouth. Not a healthy situation.

Gwen actually seems to enjoy mealtimes now, and she's eating so much better. But, after reading some of Satter's How to Get Your Kid to Eat, I'm pretty sure she would say this is a mistake. I would love some feedback from parents of resistant eaters... or anyone else, of course. :)

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

toomanystrollers Guest

Default RE: Are we making a big mistake? TV while eating

Ok, my kids turned into picky eaters but not resistant. Plus we're not facing any lack of weight gain issues. But my personal feeling, if TV is helping Gwen put on some weight (and I'm guessing you and your ped. are concerned) - then go for it!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would say if this is what works for now - do it. Making mealtime a positive experience has got to be a good thing in your situation, whatever the book says. I know DS will sit in his high chair much longer at MIL's house because he can see the TV from it (and it's always on!) I have also been known to feed DS yogurt in the living room while he is distracted watching TV. He just keeps opening his mouth so I keep putting it in. Works well on days he didn't eat his breakfast for some reason.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

lrucci Guest

I would say that if she is eating for you, then it is a good thing. Her health and well being are your main concerns, so I wouldn't worry too much about the tv right now!

On a side note -My DD is pretty much the opposite of yours. We have to feed her with minimal noise and distractions or else her head turns every which way. When my mom watches her during the day, she has to take her into the other room for her bottle because she wants to look at the tv - even when it isn't on!!!

Lisa
    Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03