We had hospitalists follow DD at the hospital where she was born and they were terrific. I have to honestly say that I did not speak with them too much about BF since I was asking so many other questions. (I was directing my BF questions to the nurses and LC's - more about that below) I do think though, that it is important to educate moms on the health benefits both to baby AND mom without being preachy. I know sometimes it is not even what is said, but how it is said. Also, let moms know of signs to be aware of regarding baby getting/not getting enough. Also, I believe encouragement from an MD is golden. Especially one who has been through it! If it is a mom's decision to BF, explain that it is hard at first but definitely gets easier! Hearing that from an MD might help with the perseverance during that first week when your nipples are too darn sore and painful and you're wondering how much longer you can continue.

I have to say that at the hospital I delivered at, the nurses have a lot of training regarding breastfeeding. In fact, they were the most helpful! We did have a visit from a lactation educator and a consultant too. But since it was the nurses that we had the most interaction with, training them too made a lot of sense. It was my RN on the night shift who initially helped me to get DD latched on once DD returned from the nursery - at two in the morning! And during subsequent shifts, I always got helpful and accurate information, which really helped to reinforce what I already knew. They were also really good about "keeping on top of me" every two to three hours, asking how many wet/poopy diapers DD had, and when she fed and for how long, etc. and asking if I had any questions or problems during the feeding.

I am not sure how helpful this post was but if you have any influence at all at your hospital, educate the nurses on breastfeeding. It made all of the difference for me.

HTH,
Marcy