McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Vitamin D drops for BF baby?

At Meghan's 2 month check-up our ped mentioned getting these vitamin D drops for Meghan since she's exclusively BF. I can't remember the name - he told us of two different ones - poly something and tri something.

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about? And have you used them? Were there any side effects I should know about? TIA!

Allison
    ~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Vitamin D drops for BF baby?

Allison,
    Personally, I didn't use them. I was uncomfortable with some suggestions in studies that they could be triggers for allergies/atopy. Humans really weren't designed to get their Vit D through their diet. I took a vitamin myself to increase my D level, which would increase the D level in my breastmilk, and allowed the sun to work its magic. At our latitude, it takes only about 10 minutes a day of indirect sunlight (so through a window or in going from house to car with a normal amount of clothing on) to make enough D, particularly for light-skinned people. If you were in Nova Scotia or were black or wore full-body garments with veils, I would be worried. But, for the opposing view, others have suggested that the RDA underestimates how much D you should get and that even blood tests are too low.

I still chose not to use them. Jack started taking a vitamin every other day at 14 months.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The ones he recommended were Tri-Vi-Sol and Poly-Vi-Sol (both made by the same company, and I'm not sure how they are different). FYI, many many kids HATE these vitamins. They smell vile, so I'm sure they taste vile.

I started giving Sarah a multi-vitamin every other day when she became more of a picky eater, at around age 2.

HTH,

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thanks. I was hoping you were hanging out here today. I knew you would have seen research and had thoughts on this.

How have you & Jack been?

Allison

Yep, those were the ones. Thanks.

Allison

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Tri-vi-sol has 3 vitamins and Poly-Vi-sol has four. I gave them to DD last winter because we live in the not very sunny Pacific Northwest. Although I have to admit, I forgot all the time. I didn't really worry about it though because it is really unlikely that she would get rickets. DD didn't like them that much, but they really didn't taste bad.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Where do you live? I asked our ped about Vit D drops too way back when and was told that it's not needed where we live (I can't remember if that meant CA or the US). He said go outdoors for a walk or sit by a window and that would be sufficient. Or as a PP said, take some yourself and your DD will get it through your milk. (FYI - DS is/was also an EBF baby).

I'm holding off on giving DS any vitamins - he's eating well and has a pretty varied diet. In the event that he does need vits, then I'd go to a natural food store and get something there.

audys Guest

Hi Allison,

My understanding is that exclusive BF babies should have vit D supplementation after 6 months of age - important for all that bone development. I did this with my DS and he had no problems with the vitamin. He takes Poly-Vi-Sol.

Audrey, mother to Graham

THere are other ways to get vitamin D than from drops. Going outside in the sunshine for a few minutes daily will take care of it.

There are no vitamins you can buy that are just vitamin D. They all have other things in them. THat's one reason I didn't give vitamin drops.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif