Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bnme is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Breakdown of the Basics of Bottle Feeding

Lori,

I am not offended. I appreciate advice and shared experiences from other Moms.

Do you know if you do wean that way when is it suggested to introduce a bottle? My ped (who I've only met once) says I should introduce the bottle right away, for maybe one feeding a day. And than slowly add bottles. If I were going to try partially bfing, say morning and night since I will be out of the house all day, I should work up to replacing that all day time feedings by the time I go back to work.

Won't I have problems with leaking/engorgment during the day?? I should note, I have a 2 hour commute each way to work (I Plan on going back after 12 weeks, but then looking for work closer to home).

Its just so hard, becuase as I mentioned, there is so little info out there that isnt so PRO bfing that it discourages you from doing anythging then nursing for at least one year.

That being said, I am being open minded about the whole thing and realize I may love it and not want to stop, that it may not work out for us at all, or any thing in-between.

Thanks for any other info you may have.

And I just want to say I understand why so many woman are passionate about the topic -it needs to get support from people and people need to be aware of the benefits, etc. I am not trying to take anything away from that and I don't want to offend anyone...I just think if you (meaning groups like La Leche, other info services etc) want to get more people interested in a topic you can't only be extreme about it --and if you can get some more women interested in bfing if only for short periods of time(who wouldn't be open to it for 1 yr) becuase you are offering support/education for it that us better than if they didn't bf at all becuase they didn't think they could do it that way.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

mama2be Guest

Thank you ladies...:)

I was thinking we needed to purchase a small fridge for our bedroom that would later go into the nursery (way upstairs), to keep it cool if I premade a batch. But sounds like I don't really have to do that, it could be bedside at night.

Wow!!!!that sounds a lot nicer than what I was imagining...
    Thanks again...

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

bnme,

We followed the traditional suggestion of introducing a bottle at 4 weeks, but I know of many babies who have gotten a bottle in their first week and still breastfeed fine. There is a lot of debate about "nipple confusion" - some babies get it, a lot of babies don't. If you aren't going back to work until 12 weeks, you could wait until about 4 weeks to introduce a bottle (but don't feel bad if you do it earlier!).

As far as weaning, I've been told to drop one feeding approximately every five days. This allows your supply to adjust down gradually. That should prevent most or all engorgement and/or leaking. So if your baby bf's 6 times a day and you want to drop it down to 2 times a day, you want to start dropping a feeding (that is, replacing it with a bottle of formula) at least a few weeks before going back to work. You'll be surprised at how smart your body gets about when and how much your baby eats, even if it is only one or two feedings a day!

I had an absolutely terrible start to bf'ing (made worse by the nurses in the hospital, who apparently felt is was their job to make me feel like I was starving my newborn, but didn't have enough heart to help me with his latch!) but was SOOOO fortunate to find a lactation consultant who was not a nursing nazi and was willing to help on my terms. Our solution ended up being a nipple shield, and bf'ing has been incredible and so much easier since that first week. My point is that there are people out there who will help you bf on your terms, but they are hard to find and you have to have thick skin to fight off the nazis!

I've heard that www.parentsplace.com has some great bf'ing boards - you might want to check them out.

I hope this helps - and I'm glad that you are keeping an open mind.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Lori
    mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I also recommend serving bottles at a variety of temperatures. When at home, Matt gets formula directly from the fridge. When we're out and about, he gets formula that is room temperature (water in bottle, then formula added from the dispenser). This system works incredibly well for us.

This is a great post. You've obviously put a lot of time into this. Thank you.

Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

bump....great info!

k8egrl Guest

Just wanted to add my own huge THANK YOU to the mix. I have been so stressed about this because as you said, it seems there is virtually NO good info on bottle feeding available. I'm also printing this out -can't thank you enough!
    Kate

akc Guest

Hi gals!

Thanks to all of you who have posted that this was useful for them! I'm so glad - I think it is so important to feel just as confident if you are bottle feeding. I have now had experience with bottle feeding through the 6-12 month stage, so I'll try to gather thoughts and posted them as well. As always, please feel free to email me any questions...I'll try to get my update up sometime soon!

Alexa

ginamlee Guest

I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to bump it up and express my appreciation.

I breastfed my first and LOVED the experience. My second waS adopted at age 5 years. For my third and soon-to-be-fourth child, I am forced to bottle feed due to medical reasons. I will admit that it was completely gut wrenching to not breast feed my third child and I'm sure that I will feel similar pangs with child number four. But, for those that must formula feed or simply want to formula feed for whatever reason, the information here is invaluable.

Thanks so much for posting!

luvbeinmama Guest

I have one Avent disposable (with several additional nipples for it) and use it as backup for when I'm too lazy to do the dishes, or when I travel. YOU CAN MIX FORMULA IN THE DISPOSABLE BOTTLE JUST BY SHAKING IT! I do this all the time. I pre-measure the water usually anyway, so I just put in the formula, put in the water, put on the nipple and shake, just like a regular reusable bottle. There is air in there just like the reusables, and you can mix it. If you wish to "burp" the bottle before feeding, just do it after you've mixed it. If I am mixing 8 oz of formula in the disposable, I line up the line carefully at the rim and the water pretty much fills the whole liner, so I'm not that careful about being exact with the water on that one. It's always close enough.

HTH!

akc Guest

My apologies to the Maternity Clothes posters - this important post & thread got moved to this board when the BB boards were updated. I've made a plea to have it moved to the Feeding Baby section, but need to update it. Sorry if it keeps popping up here!

UPDATE TO THE ORIGINAL BOTTLE FEEDING BASICS

Bottles:

- MY second daughter did not have as much luck with the Avent bottles. Her mouth couldn't latch onto the nipples as well (yes, same concept as breastfeeding), particular because the Avent nipples are tougher to be a good bottle for breastfed babies. Her mouth couldn't close around the sides of the nipple, so she was "leaking" formula out the sides of her mouth (messy and expensive), but worse, was gulping air whenever she sucked (whew - was she gassy!). We ended up having to change for a Playtex bottle. Here's the learning:

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR BOTTLEFEEDING IS THE NIPPLE. Doesn't matter if it's a reusable bottle or drop-in, whether it's silicone or rubber. The baby should be able to "latch" onto the nipple (mouth closes securely around the nipple) and sucks easily. There will still be some drool or formula and some sucking of air, BUT disregard all brand advice and be sure that the nipple works for your child.

In our case, we went with the Playtex Natural Ventaire bottles (widemouth). I will say up front that I think the Ventaire system and shape is just a gimmick - doesn't really help substantially. BUT, the Ventaire nipple was a nice med softness that lets her suck well. If you are looking at Playtex, the NaturaLatch nipples (go in the drop-in bottles) are really nice and soft (too much so for my DD, she folded it over), but could be good for you.

p.s. I still stand by my "bottle system" suggestion. We're even more tired with 2 DD now, so knowing clean vs. dirty is key.

FORMULA:

IF YOU CAN GET OVER NAME-BRAND NEEDS, GO WITH A STORE-BRAND VERSION OF FORMULA!

I learned the hard way on this (thanks to those on these boards that helped me overcome my anxiety and see the error of my ways), used Similac Advance the entire formula time with my first. Cost us a fortune, but made me feel better because the DHA / ARA closest approximates breast feeding.

NOW, 20 months later, there are a number of store brands that have almost the exact same ingredients and cost almost half the price. I've attached the chart that shows my analysis, but here are the cliff notes as of 3/20/04:

CLIFF NOTES ON THE GOOD, BAD AND UGLY...(as you'll see on the chart, this assumes the largest size available, purchased from a warehouse store - this means powder b/c the prices only go UP when you go to RTF or Single servings).

WINNERS AT 47 CENTS/OZ!!!
    Costco's Kirland Signature with DHA / ARA
    Wal*Mart's Parent's Choice w/a Blend of Lipids
    (NOTE: Parent's Choice is made by Wyeth, which also makes the DHA/ARA brand for Target, Healthy Baby but you'll have to check their nutrients and prices to be sure they are exactly the same.)

74 CENTS/OZ
    Enfamil Lipil

84 CENTS/OZ
    Similac Advance

88 CENTS/OZ
    Carnation Good Start Supreme DHA / ARA

There are differences in consistency and the way they mix, so that is still a matter of personal preference as well as how you baby reacts to the formula (of course). BUT, I say to you now, GO for the Store-brand. Your child will be happy and healthy and you'll save lots (I mean hundreds) of $$$.

FEEDING ITSELF:
    All of what I said still stands the test of a second time. I will cop to two things though:
    1) I am so lazy on burp cloths and bibs this time. If you want, you can just get tons of store-brand cloth diapers and tuck them under the baby's chin when they feed on the bottle. Then, flip it up on your shoulder or lap when you burp them. Just as good.

p.s. I can't believe I'm admitting this - crazy lazy Mom that I am, I also will tell you that you CAN use a newborn diaper as a bib when you are on the go. Yes, gasp! Just flip it inside out and put the absorbent side under their chin. Attach the velcro bands to the diaper behind his/her head. It is super absorbent (course - if it can hold all that pee or poo, what's a little formula!) and a great option if you don't have room to pack bibs or burp cloths or find yourself in a situation with neither!

2) Tap water is fine IF it's got the necessary nutrients and/or isn't tainted. Check with your city. Some (like Washington DC) had trouble with lead levels, and well water is also sometimes a problem (also check with your resources), BUT if you've good 'ol healthy tap water, use that for your bottles instead of bottled. We bought 12 bottles of water and just keep refilling them with tap so they are handy, pour well, and are at room temperature. Be sure to put them in the dishwasher about once a week, so they don't get contaminated.

3) Sheepish face...I still stand by my suggestion of room-temperature formula for feedings, BUT will admit that a nice warm bottle at the key feeding before "bedtime" is a really helpful thing. Our second DD is just 6 weeks old and going from "day" to "night" is obviously still a bit tricky. The ONLY warm bottle she gets is the one we give her between 6 and 7 pm, when we're going to start having her in her crib for "night." She doesn't need them at any time again in the night. Just the one makes her happy and drowsy so she burps well, looks at me peacefully, and drift happily off to sleep (for 4 hours). We just use mildly-warm tap water Or pop the mixed bottle into a mug of warm water to just barely warm it. OK, OK, maybe the second time around you get a little softer! (I have no opinion on cold formula - can't say that I've tried it or my DDs would have liked it.)

DADDIES AND SAPPINESS:
    My goodness, rereading my first post brings me to tears. I feel as strongly, if not even more intensely as to these points about bottlefeeding being an opportunity, not a handicap. I won't repeat what I said, you can read it above.

ADDENDUM AS A MOMMY TO TWO: If you have or are going to have more than one child, having multiple people who can feed is WONDERFUL. That gives you four hands to handle two children (who always want or need YOU at the same time). It also lets me or my DH feel they are having "special time" with the newborn since we're often running around trying to contain our toddler. We are rotating every other feeding at night, so we can each get somewhere between 4 hours to 7 hours (best case, rarely!) of sleep. Sometimes, one of us with "take a night" to help the other - this means he or I do all the feedings, so your partner can sleep a whole night without interruption. That's key to maintaining your stamina and can get you a whole lot of "brownie" points that you can leverage for a while!

OK, that's all I can think of now. I've attached the charts of the DHA/ARA formulas. If anyone wants to do the other types of formula (reg w/iron, soy, or stage 2 formulas), let me know - I have the data for some.

Good luck and don't hesitate to post or email me. Most of all, have FUN! They grow up too, too fast! :) I've also (sorry, can't help it) attached a picture of my two girls to show you that formula-fed babies are also HAPPY babies!

Alexa Corcoran

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast