aoconnell Guest

Default "Hands Free" Pumping w/PIS

How does one achieve "hands free" pumping? I thought for some reason that the pumps were designed for that, but after receiving my new Medela Advanced PIS, was told at the store that you have to buy either a special "bustier" or a special bra that uses rubber bands to attach the pump to the breasts.

Do either of these really work? Is one better than the other?

Also, do you wear these bustiers or bras as your regular bra or do you just put them on when pumping?

My baby is still on the way but am trying to figure all of this out in advance.

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: "Hands Free" Pumping w/PIS

I use the Easy Expressions Bustier - it wraps around you and zips together. You don't have to take off your shirt or bra. I unsnap my bra, tuck in the bra flaps, and wrap the bustier, lining up the holes. It also works without a bra.

I have heard of people using rubber bands on a paper clip and then attaching the paper clip to the front bra hook and then putting the rubber band around the horns. The suction keeps it in place. If you go to the breastfeeding board at parentsplace.com and do a search on hands free pumping or rubber bands it should pull some of the posts up for you.

HTH,
    Marcy

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just leaned against the desk for a few minutes until the suction got going and then the suction of the pump kept the horns attached.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

I use a Bravada bra and just pull the elastic strap around the horns to hold them in place. The bottom part of the horn stays inside the bra cup.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

ha ha - some of us are not ample enough to let the suction hold up the horns! I'm barely able to fill the horn when empty! Good thing size has nothing to do with milk production!