Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    nitaghei Guest

Default RE: How long did you plan on breastfeeding and where are you now?

Amanda,

Haven't read the other posts, so sorry if I'm repeating. Taking it one day at a time is the best way. And hopfully, you've been checked for thrush and latch problems. How old is your baby? Things do get better around the 6-8 week mark, and after 3 months it's Easy Street!! :) So hang in there - it gets better all the time!

My inital goal was 6 months. We had major problems in the beginning - DS was in NICU with ABO incompatibility jaundice, aggravated by a vacuum extraction. He had nipple confusion, and wouldn't nurse. When I was exclusively pumping, my goal went to 3 months. Though, more realistically, it was just getting through each day. When he started nursing (at 8 weeks!)- went back to 6 months. Well - it's 15 months, and we're still BF'g. I work full time outside the home, so I also pumped for 14 months. I'm sort of hoping he'll self-wean in the next 4-6 months, but there's no urgency.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Planned on at least a year. TRYING to start to wean now, at 9.5 months. In general bf has been easy for me, but the extra boob-weight has me wanting to quit ASAP.

BF itself is such an awesome experience & I would do it for as long as you possibly can.

Allison

Aiming for a year and now close to 8-1/2 months. Getting tired of pumping, but the women here have been fantastic at encouraging everyone to stay the course if that's what you want.

After the pain went away and 2 LC visits for tips/support, BFing really has been a joy for this working mom. It's one thing that only I can provide and the closeness is amazing.

Good luck!

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My goal is 1 year. I am at 11.5 months :-)

It's not been easy, since I work full-time. But I think it is worth it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do after the 1 year mark. I think after that we'll see how it goes. I don't mind continuing to nurse, but I do need to reduce the time at the pump, since I need some more freedom from it for work.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

my original goal was a year, modified to 6 weeks after we had a lot of BFing problems (flat nipples->poor latch->mastitis and cracking->pain) but everyone is right, with assistance in correcting the problems there does seem to be a magic window.

my goal keeps getting longer. by 6 months i was sure i wanted to BF until 18 months. now, i want to BF for 2 years (and will consider continuing after that, although my work schedule will change dramatically and i may not be able to keep it up.)

good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

I hated bfing in the beginning. I was terrified of it... more scared of that than labor, because I'd heard so many horror stories. I told people that I'd like to do it for 6 months, but we'd see. Most of my friends stopped around 4-6 weeks, and my mom was the same. No one expected me to make it.

I think that was my biggest encouragement. I kept saying to myself, I just have to make it longer than ____. But during the first month, with the usual pain and problems, I called the doctor several times and prayed they'd tell me to stop. DS' ped was great. She told me that if I wanted to stop that was fine (even she only bfed for 8 weeks.)

Around 4-6 weeks, DS developed reflux. DH and Mom were certain it was an allergy to Breastmilk, and I wasn't too sure. But I hung in, basically, because, again, I had to do it longer than _____.

Well, here we are at 7 1/2 months, past any of my friends I was "competing" against in my mind. Still doing it, and now I love it. 4 months and 6 months came and went. I even did 2 months cutting dairy from MY diet (no cheese, yikes!). But by then I had learned that I really enjoyed it.

Around 4 months, I weaned down to 3, then 2 times a day. So all meals DS gets formula, and during "snacktime" its bf. This is a great alternative because it allows you some freedom and you're still bonding and enjoying your time with your baby.

Don't have a goal anymore. I guess I'll just keep going until DS wants to stop.

Hang in there... it does get better!

--Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

jubilee Guest

I can relate to being discouraged about breastfeeding! Before DS was born I wanted to nurse for 6 months. Once he was 7 days old, I just started praying I could get through another day. We have always had to use a nipple shield, and that really upset me for a while. Now I could care less- I mean, whatever works right? We are still nursing at 1 year old, and I play around with weaning now. When I was having a rough time of nursing, I would always think about how much more difficult bottle feeding is. I bottlefed with my first son, so I remember all the prep-time, cleaning bottles, etc. Hang in there, and remember a good lactation consultant can help you out!!

Hi, I planned to BF for 6 months and now DD is 8 months old today (how time flies!) and we are still BF'ing. I work 80 hours a week and every day after the 6 month mark, I tell myself that I am going to stop. But, I can't. I don't have a good reason to stop and DD really enjoys it and it's our time together. Plus, I HATE dealing with bottles and if I could avoid it, I will.

I also got my period when DD was 4 months old and just had my 5 th cycle. It's really draining to BF during that time plus your supply drops A LOT. So, now I'm on Reglan which causes milk supply to increase.

Hope this helps.
    Meetu

votre_ami03 Guest

One day at a time! :)

My goal was 1 year. I am at 8 mos & 3 weeks. ;) I don't know if/how I will wean at 12 mos. When I returned to wok pumping w/my Isis I thought there is no way I am going to continue to do this for 9 mos! Once I switched to my electric double life got so much easier. Fortunately, we haven't really had any issues, I know I have been very lucky.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

smallestangel Guest

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. It does help! I am the only person in my circle of friends and family who has ever bf'd. So I don't have any personal points of reference. And frankly, I don't get much support for it (aside from my husband). I also appreciate the votes of confidence very much.

Amanda and Jacob :)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast