Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    spu Guest

Default RE: How long did you plan on breastfeeding and where are you now?

Hi Amanda,

I'm sure there's lots of great advice in the 3 pages of responses, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as well.

I had a c with my twins and we're still breastfeeding at almost 21 months! In terms of weaning, we're going to let nature decide.

I know how painful it can be, and there really is a learning curve for both mom and baby even though they describe it as the most natural thing out there. It sounds like you're doing a great job taking it a day at a time and each week will bring you closer to 'the joy of nursing' as some call it... I promise!

In terms of humps along the way, rest assured, they become smaller and smaller, and eventually nursing becomes almost addictive! Not to mention so very easy...

As for those early months, that was a different story, and I can totally understand how you're feeling. We took it one day at a time, and I was determined to make it, despite the constant plugs, the nipple pain, and lots of other issues. Get all the support you can through friends, boards, LLL, and lactation consultants at the hospital (usually free). I was constantly reminding myself that breastmilk is the most perfect food for my babies and that alone made me even more determined to get over those humps. I couldn't even fathom giving them something powdered and mixed with water. What on earth was it? certainly not something nature made... (ok, maybe a bit harsh, but it helped get me through...)

In addition to the nutritional benefits, nursing an older baby also provides great nutrition when they become fussy eaters or easy distracters and don't want to sit to eat. They'll always want to sit with mama!

And as for going out, you can stay out as long as you want without having to bring a supply of food or bottles. That was huge for me too, esp. with twins.

And when you're out, and they get fussy (like in church or someplace quiet) nursing them quiets them right up and makes them feel right at home when they're done.

My original goals were:
    -- get to 6 months and then see.
    so I got to 6 months, and it was smooth sailing!

-- next - get to 1 year and then see.
    when I got to 1 year, I had no intentions of stopping.

-- next goal?
    hmm... it's going so well for us, that mother nature will decide when to wean.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
    charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

gour0 Guest

Lol! Before I had Ben, I thought I would bf for 6mos. I always used to think that you should bf until they got teeth. :) Now, he's 13mos and we're still going pretty strong. I'm not really sure what has sustained me, except that I feel really strongly that it is the best thing for him. That, and thinking that he will wean himself when he's ready, I guess. I can't imagine being the one who stops.

missmelis01 Guest

Amanda-
    Congratulations on making the effort and hanging in there.

If you're experiencing pain throughout the entire nursing session, then I would agree with some of the other posts that there is a latch problem or thrush. However, if you are experiencing pain just for the first minute or so of each nursing session, that is called latch-on pain and you should eventually be pain-free (it took me 3 weeks).

But to answer your questions, my nursing goal was 12 months, and I am currently at 6 months. Some of the things that got me through the humps when I felt like weaning (and there were plenty of those times!) were my family, especially my husband, and a weekly BF support group hosted at the hospital where I delivered. I also did a ton of reading on the internet and forums like this one.

Nobody can reach their goals without going day by day, so you are off to a great start. Hang in there!

Planned on 6-12 mos and am at 19 mos and counting :)
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My original goal was 1 year, but when we had a ridiculously hot summer, I decided that I would aim for 6 mos, just because it was so uncomfortable to have hot little DS's body pressed against my own. But then it cooled down a little and we're now still going strong, so I'm back to my 1 year goal.

Some things that gave me extra insentive to continue were: MIL and Great Aunt insisting that formula was better; the fact that my Mom was forced to stop BFing all three of her kids when we were infants due to dr. misinformation; the fact that I grew up on a farm and if cows can do it so can I; that when DS hit about 6 months all of a sudden he was crazy-fast and going 4-6 hours between sessions (unless it was really hot that day).

If it wasn't so easy to BF now, I would consider stopping, but since I know that DS benefits from every day that he still nurses, I don't see any reason to. As it is, he's very independent and sometimes just isn't interested, and that makes me sad and frustrated, but so long as he's happy and healthy I'm okay with it. I still plan to BF at least 2x a day until he's 1yr, though.

Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Chelsey333 Guest

With my first son, I only wanted to nurse for 4 mos. and barely made it to that date. With my 2nd son, I want to nurse for 6 mos. and I am at the 5 mos. mark. However, I am enjoying it so much this time around that I will probably go further, maybe to about 10 mos. I definitely don't want to go past that. I have had a clogged duct or a bleb numerous times and it is painful. Usually I want to stop when that happens. What keeps me going this time, is how soothing it is for my son. My first son hated the bottle and I regretted stopping nursing so soon. With my 2nd son, it is so easy to relieve him when he is upset to just nurse him. I can't believe how convenient that is. Hang in there. It is very difficult in the beginning, it gets easier after 3 or 4 mos. The hardest part for me is the engorgement of milk, but it gets better if you don't pump too much (I was overpumping with first child). With my first child, I was pumping so much, that I had enough milk for 2 kids - which caused me a lot of misery.

msarna Guest

Well, as I stated in my earlier post, my goal was 12 months. At 10 and 1/2 months she started biting. I couldn't take it. After my DD made me bleed twice, I decided to wean.

I am thankful we did it for as long as we did, and I do miss it. I try hard to remain close with her in other ways.

Good luck to everyone!

shamrock Guest

My 1st goal was 3 months. We made that and I set my next goal at 6 months. We're almost there (DS is 5 months.) I'll be the first to admit that I've been really lucky as far as breastfeeding goes. I still take it day by day though. It seems easier that way when I get down or sore. I'm thinking we'll shoot for a year though. I'd love to nurse until he's really ready to stop though.

Just an update to say "9 months, and still breastfeeding!!!"
    Cathleen
    Mom to DS 8, DD 5 and a Greyhound Princess

I would like to add my story too. When I was pregnant I was very excited about BFing and was aiming for 9 months to 1 year. The day my DD was born I experienced my first BFing problems. It was Sunday and there wasn't a lactation consultant available so one of the nurses from the nursery was showed me how to BF. By Monday my nipples were sore, cracked and bleeding because my DD didn't latch on properly. I was utterly wiped out from a from a very difficult and complicated labor and not sleeping for 2 nights. By the time a lactation consultant came around I was in so much pain that I had lost all interest in BFing. Plus my milk didn't come in until day 4, my colostrum dried up (stress) and we had to use formula. But through the support of my DH, my lactation consultant, soothies gel pads and tons of purelan I somehow made it through the first two weeks. I received my first encouragement when I took my DD for her two week check up and she gained a pound! I felt so proud and it made all the pain worthwhile. So I taked myself into feeding until 6 weeks, then 12 weeks and now I'm at 5 months and haven't given it a thought! All I can say is that I'm so so glad that I didn't give up! And everytime I take my DD for her wellness checkup, her weight is an affirmation that I'm doing the right thing! Plus my DD is only feeding 5-6 times (10 minutes total on both breasts) instead of 10-12 times! My advice is to take one day a time, set realistic goals, and know that the pain is only temporary. The benefits your little one is getting outweights everything!!! And please remember if you can't or choose to wean early it doesn't make you a bad mother!!!
    good luck and have a blessed day
    Katherine
    K
    DD#1 05/09

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast