Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    smallestangel Guest

Default RE: Amanda, how did you end up doing?

Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going. :)

Jacob is 18 months and we're still nursing. He just started sleeping thru the night about a month ago, so no more night nursing. We nurse once in the morning, once before and after naptime (which is still hit or miss), and once before bedtime. Sometimes more when he's having a rough day.

We've come a long way since I first posted. Nursing a toddler now has it's own challenges for sure, but we are plugging away with no end in sight.

Thanks everyone! :)

Amanda

hellosmiletoday Guest

Default RE: How long did you plan on breastfeeding and where are you now?

The first week was so painful, I didn't know how long I would be able to withstand the pain. But, the pain subsided and I exclusively bf for about 11 months. After 6 mo AF came, and I struggled with low milk supply for about half of any given month. I also have a small cup size which may have affected the supply. After about 11 mo I started supplementing. When she was 14 months I left her with grandparents for 2 days while we waited for movers in another city. DH and I spent an all nighter packing, and although I was a bit engorged, by the time I did pump, I did not get much milk. When I came back, DD seemed to have self weaned anyway. All the milk was gone by 15 months. I never set any definite goals, I just knew that the longer I BF DD the better.

DD currently drinking about 60% formula 40% cow's milk.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hang in there! My goal was a year, and then when I met that, I made a new goal of 2 years. My son is now two years and four months, and we're still going strong. It has become a really important time for him, and me. Honestly, at the beginning, I didn't think I would make it past six weeks. It was really painful for me, too, and we also had some complications with and after birth. It really, really gets so much easier as time goes by. And time goes by SO fast. :( Just continue to take it day by day, and stay committed. You can do it! It will change fairly quickly from something you are doing solely for the benefit of your child, to something you enjoy doing and look forward to!

Kelli
    Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you.
    Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life."
    -Maureen Hawkins

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Amanda, how did you end up doing?

Woo hoo! You've come a long way, baby! I guess Jacob is not much younger than Kaya! ITA with you about nursing a toddler, but there are definitely rewards to it as well. Kaya is also nursing 3-6 times a day, depending on whether she's having a rough day.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png

My goal is to breastfeed for at least 13 months. My daughter is now 11 months old, she was exclusively breastfed for 6 months, then we began solids.

It has not been easy, her eating around the clock, plugged duct, supply issues more times than I want to think about but it is well worth it. Formula feeding was not an option that I was going to use so that made it easier even though I know it was tempting sometimes. My mom says how she admires me for doing it because it is harder than formula feeding but I know how much better it is for my daughter.

Breastfeeding is soooooo easy now. It is a lot easier than feeding solids or a bottle. (My husband gives her a bottle once a day).

Keep going at it and it WILL get better. Make sure you have a lot of support people.

Time will go faster than you know it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6