Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default zyrtec or allegra safe while nursing?

or will it dry up my milk?

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Default RE: zyrtec or allegra safe while nursing?

We just got Sophie's script for Zyrtec filled last night.

It had a big warning on the info page that it's not really recommended during nursing, as it's passed through breast milk.

Can't tell you about Allegra though.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

dang. i am DYING. it feels like a really bad head cold, but i have a feeling it's related to allergies...because i haven't taken my pills since i got pregnant, and that happens sometimes. i get a cold that's bad, but my dr think is linked to allergies when i don't take my pills.

my head is about to explode.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

sugarsnappea Guest

I read somewhere that this is a misconception. I took Zyrtec when pregnant and nursing and noticed no supply issues. I was on Allegra before becoming pregnant and my OB switched me to Zyrtec, saying it was safer.

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Tammy,

Here is a link to kellymom which has a section on medications and I'm putting the link on the section w/ info about anti-histamines (whoa, that is a poorly written sentence, but can't think well enough to rewrite it, LOL!).

I think either would be fine. I've been taking Allegra for the past few days (the allergies are striking fast and furious!) and haven't noticed any effect on my milk supply (I'm only nursing 2x a day and pumping 1x a day). Definitely avoid taking Allegra-D (which has the decongestant in it, which does have a drying effect).

http://kellymom.com/health/meds/cold...antihistamines

Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

CMC Guest

Claritin is safe to use when nursing. Have you tried that yet?

Default the problem is every place says something different...

on the allegra site it doesn't recommend using it while nursing.

meanwhile i'm dying. ack! i will try to get my hubbie to get me some claritin. i do have allegra at home, but afraid to take it.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

gremlin44 Guest

With my first pregnancy, I was already taking Allegra at night and Allegra D in the mornings. I met with my midwives before I got pregnant, and both they and my doctor said that I could and should stay on the Allegra. My son was born without any problems, and I've never had any supply issues.

After my son was born, Claritin went OTC so my insurance stopped paying for Allegra. Unfortunately for me, Claritin doesn't work for me. At that point I asked both the midwives and my doctor what I could switch to while nursing. They recommended Zyrtec at night and Zyrtec D in the mornings. I experienced better control of my allergies and no impact on my supply.

I'm now 22 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 19 month old son. I'm still on Zyrtec and Zyrtec D at the advice of my midwives and my doctor. I do drink a lot of water on a daily basis, so I'm sure that helps with supply. I suspect that if you drank lots of water, ate oatmeal, and took some fenugreek that would offset any supply issues.

Most allergy meds fall in that category of "well, at normal doses it didn't harm animals, but since we can't test it on humans, we can't recommend it or someone will sue us." If I don't take my meds, I end up puking daily from postnasal drip and having severe ear and sinus congestion. All my doctors agreed that the benefits outweighed the small risk in my situation.

i broke down and took an allegra an hour ago. i am feeling better (less congested) but i do think i have a cold as well. which i think is becuase of allergies. i think my allergies (when i'm not taking my meds every day) cause me to catch "allergy" colds. weird. but i was getting them a lot before i started taking the pills every day. then it stopped. when i got pregnant, i stopped taking them, and surprisingly my post nasal drip has improved, but i still do get the occasional allergy cold.

maybe i should consider getting back into a once a day routine with zyrtec, because i used to take those and they really helped. i know it would help with me not getting these colds which make me miserable and not as good of a mommy!

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

gremlin44 Guest

You might also look into nasal sprays like Flonase. I take that in conjunction with the Zyrtec and Zyrtec D.

BTW, the reason I take Zyrtec AND Zyrtec D is because when I took the 24 hour Allegra D, my blood pressure shot up to the point where I could feel my pulse in my eyelids and I had insomnia for four days. After a week of that, my doctor suggested taking the 12 hour formulas. I take the decongestant version in the morning to help clear up overnight blockage and give me protection during the day when you are most exposed to allergens.

For what its worth, while my supply has been great, I've never had a leaking problem past the first two weeks. I've always wondered if the medications had a hand in that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast