Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default RE: "It's very unfortunate that you're breastfeeding"

What a complete moron!! You should write him a letter and quote the AAP recommendations. Just think if you were someone having difficulties in the beginning, and maybe kind of on the fence about whether or not to continue, how that would influence the decision.

Way to go BFing in front of him! Ha!

Marcy
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's awesome that you nursed your son in front of that ped.--kind of like saying, "WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BREASTMILK, JERK!" I hope that your son feels better. Good luck finding a more *enlightened* ped!

Wow, the things peds say. We had a really awful ped who kept trying to force her parenting advice on us and informed us that we were
    endangering our child (co-sleeping) and spoiling him as well (refusing to let him CIO) Run far far away.

Anyway, how old is your son? When Noah was about 10 old he started having problems. Back arching, fussines, lots of spit up, refussal to nurse etc. I was starting to think it was reflux and I was getting
    really frusterated. I was at my mom's at the time and was just about to take DS to the doctor even though it would be one I was unfamiliar with and probably cost a fortune because my insurance didn't have clinics in the area. i did some research that night and began to realize that his symptoms looked less like reflux and more like I had a very forceful let down. (My boobs were spraying like crazy, lol) I followed the tips and within a week I had everything back to normal.

I always suggest Kellymom. They are who I use whenever experiencing a problem and they are very informative.
    http://www.kellymom.com/
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is absolutely crazy. Find another ped NOW and get some help diagnosing reflux (which, by the way, can be made much, much worse with formula). I'd also seriously consider reporting this about your current ped. He's blatantly going against AAP and WHO recommendations, and jeopardizing the health of babies.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

lag555 Guest

I hope I don't get flamed for this post, but is it possible that you are over-reacting to what he said? Is it possible that he just meant to say something like "Breastfeeding can be beneficial, but it does have drawbacks. One of the problems with breastfeeding is that you don't really have any idea how much your baby is eating. It is possible that he is vomiting because he's getting too much milk. If that is the case, it's a problem that you are breastfeeding because that means there is no way for us to know exactly how much he is eating."

If you summarize that, it comes out as "It's a problem that you are breastfeeding because he might be getting too much milk."

If I were you, before I'd run to change pediatricians, I'd call him up and say something like "I got the impression that you don't think it's a good idea to breastfeed. I've heard/read so much research supporting breastfeeding and I just want to clarify your position."

Of course, if you don't feel comfortable with him, you might as well change pediatricians anyway. But I just wanted to point out how he might not have meant it the way it came out.

Aggie

Cassandra27 Guest

Amanda!! What are you doing over here?? How funny! I love these boards! And now I have another reason to love them! It's funny that we both pretty much use the same screen name. I think there are a few more Knotties over here, too, who use the same screen names.

p.s. I'm so glad you're finding a new ped. BF'ing can be tough enough without a ped discouraging it. As a matter of fact, I'm going to tell my ped that I appreciate him even more now because he has been so supportive of BF'ing.

Cassandra
    mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

Grace_underfire Guest

WOW!! What a DUMB and poorly educated Doctor! Run away... FAST!

OMG~!

Obviously yes get a new pediatrician - and tell the office WHY you left.
    My word I didn't know Dr.'s could be so ignorant!
    Maria
    ~Mama to 4~
    ~Foster mama to baby girl R born 8/08~

Vajrastorm Guest

>I couldn't even eat Veggie Burgers, because they had casin in
    >them which is a form of dairy. He was THAT sensitive. We DO
    >have a family history of lactose intolerance.
    >I was finally able to introduce dairy products back into my
    >diet when DS turned 6 months. I think because their digestive
    >track matures at this age. If I remember correctly.

Sorry to ne anal :) but I wanted to point out that infants who have trouble with dairy don't have lactose intolerance - they have a cow's milk protein allergy. Lactose intolerance doesn't develop until somewhere in the ballpark of 2 years old (I think, could be a little off with that timing.)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was all fired up just from the title of the thread and when I saw it was your ped, [smacks head] i was about ready to launch out of my chair!

Definitely find a new doc and definitely tell your old doc why and defitely tell everyone you know to pick a different ped. It saddens me daily that there are so many friggin' idiots out there who call themselves medical professionals.

And cheers to you for breastfeeding in front of him! Hope you had a "make my day" look on your face!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast