Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default It's very unfortunate he's a doctor!!!!!!

And he calls himself a doctor? Hello, look at the AAP reccomendations doc!!!!!!!!!! I think I would have said "And it's truly unfortunate you are a doctor." and walked out (well, I probably would have thought about saying that after I walked out and came out of shock ;))

Good for you for looking for a new dr, I hope you find one that is supportive of your decission to breastfeed.

Lisa

COElizabeth Guest

Default RE: "It's very unfortunate that you're breastfeeding"

Zantac seems to the first-line treatment for reflux in infants because it is considered very safe and well studied. Our peds had no problem prescribing it when James had similar symptoms (arching and crying after eating), and they assured me that it would not hurt him even if he didn't have reflux. The tests to confirm the diagnosis are invasive, as you mentioned, and from what I have heard, they are rarely done as a first step. As I think you know, from your post, you do need to give the Zantac a couple of weeks to build up in the bloodstream to judge its effectiveness. However, we saw almost immediate improvement.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    EDD #2, 10-30-04

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Un-fricken-believable!! Where did this guy get his medical degree - Bozo U??

Good for you for having the confidence to know what he was saying was crap - you are one smart mama!!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow. What a limited perspective he has. It sounds like you are doing the right thing looking into a new pediatrician. I'm on my second one right now, although I left for different reasons.

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hope Jacob is feeling better soon. I can't believe that you had to focus on this Dr.'s limited education on nursing rather then your son's medical concerns!

I truly cannot believe that a Ped would say something like that. He is wrong... If he is wrong about this you would have to question much of his advice. I hope you find a ped you can trust soon.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

toomanystrollers Guest

ARGGGGGGGGH!!! Hey, what would he say about bf'ed babies that eat more often than your wee one and don't throw up??

Glad to hear you're switching :)

jakobsmommie Guest

UNREAL!!! I can't believe a ped would say that!
    I hope you are able to find someone that is more in tune with you and your childs needs.
    BTW - great job nursing in front of him. He should be ashamed of himself for saying such things! I hope someone clues him in before he muddles the minds of innocent mothers!! GOOD GRIEF!

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there.
    I had the same issue happen with my first born. DS would CRY terribly and arch and projectile vomit. I had to find out why, but didn't know what to do. I ended up asking a friend of mine who also happens to be an RN. She told me to cut all my dairy products out and I mean COMPLETELY. She also told me to not eat anything that creates gas, ie beans, cabbage, cauliflower, dried fruit etc...
    I noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. DS would nurse and actually keep it down! He wouldn't cry unconsolably or projectile vomit anymore.
    I tried to slowly bring back dairy into my diet, but I would notice a difference if I even had so much as a teaspoon of cream in my tea!
    I couldn't even eat Veggie Burgers, because they had casin in them which is a form of dairy. He was THAT sensitive. We DO have a family history of lactose intolerance.
    I was finally able to introduce dairy products back into my diet when DS turned 6 months. I think because their digestive track matures at this age. If I remember correctly.

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but I found I had to post since your experiences with Jacob are so similar to what I had gone through with my own DS.

HTH,

Sandy

Good luck finding a new ped. Look for one with a LC on staff. My practice has a full-time LC, and all of the peds. seem really supportive of BFding. I had to laugh at your message, though, because at 5-6 weeks, my son was still nursing every hour! At 5 weeks my ped. said I should really try stretching him to at least every 1 1/2 hours, preferably every 2. At 6 weeks, both the ped. and the LC said I should try stretching him to every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I wonder what your ped. would have said to us, with that frequent nursing schedule!

Good luck getting the refulx under control.
    Cathleen
    Mom to DS 8, DD 5 and a Greyhound Princess

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

There're other people with more experience, but I second the 'cut out dairy' reco-- cheap solution to a nasty problem sometimes. DS didn't have a lot of other symptoms, but he did spit up quite a bit at the start, especially within 20 minutes after a feeding. I accidentally had no dairy for a day, and realized he wasn't spitting up. Did a couple experiments with dairy vs. no dairy, and boy would he spit up worse the morning after I had a big bowl of ice cream for dessert :) I didn't cut dairy out completely (there's occasional butter and cheese in my diet), but I did limit it, and the spit up became almost non-existent. I haven't tried to add much back in yet-- hoping I can eat ice cream this summer, though!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, do not pass "go", do not collect $200 - get thee to a new ped! That is horrible!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast