Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default RE: "It's very unfortunate that you're breastfeeding"

Excellent point Tammy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

smallestangel Guest

Thanks for the support everyone! If he had said this to me a few weeeks ago I probably would have cracked. Bf'ing wasn't going well (thrush, latch & positioning issues) and I was so down about my hopes to have a successful nursing experience. I'm just glad that I have my chin up now since things are going MUCH better and I was able to handle his comments.

I don't believe I'm overreacting. What I posted is practically our conversation verbatim. Besides, forget the bf'ing issue for a moment, he also wants to send my baby for a round of tests before trying something less invasive. So, we have different philosophies on more than one issue.

I was on the computer yesterday gathering names & numbers. Finding a doc that's taking new patients AND accepts our insurance isn't easy. We're military and it's slim pickings since I'd prefer a civilian doctor.

Anyway, I found three doctors so I got on the horn this morning and set up "meet and greet" appointments for next week. Hopefully we'll click with one of them and go from there.

new mommy25,

Thanks for the link. The possibility of a forceful let-down is interesting because I do spray and Jacob's symptoms sound similiar. I'll be sure to check with the doctor.

Cassandra, hey!

I've been lurking here for months. Isn't it great? HRH recommended it way back when. Everyone's posts are so thoughtful and they give great advice. I still check the knot now and then but I don't frequent it the way I used to.

Again, thanks everyone!

Amanda & Jacob (born 3/11/04) :)

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OMG! Haven't read the othere replies but I'm glad you're off to find another ped. How ignorant can you get. Good for you for nursing in front of him!

OMG!!! I cannot believe there are actually peds out there who would say this!! How unfortunate for the OTHER babies he sees who's mamas aren't as educated or perseverent as you are!! Yes, do look for a new ped ASAP! I second the recommendation for calling a local LLL leader or attending a meeting to ask members who they use. LC offices are also usually familiar with peds who are pro breastfeeding (not just BF friendly!). I am so very glad you knew to ignore all of what he said, and GOOD FOR YOU for BFing right in front of him!

Slightly OT, though along the same vein - My initial reaction would be to report this ped to someone (not sure if it's the AAP, or the state licensing board - maybe some of our resident docs would know?? Shannon?) However, I just read an article in the March/April 2004 issue of Mothering (here is the article http://www.mothering.com/editorials/editorial123.shtml)
    - and we just discussed the topic this AM in my LLL meeting, that the AAP receives HUGE contributions from the formula manufacturers. Unfortunately, the AAP has knelt to the bullying of the formula mfrs on breastfeeding issues. Although this article is specifically about the AAP and formula companies blocking the National Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign, it stands to reason that if they are getting large amounts of money from companies that stand to lose a lot of money if more mothers breastfeed for the recommended one year, it seems unlikely that under the current AAP leadership they would do anything to correct peds who are so blatantly ignorant. I would HOPE that is not the case, but the pessimistic side of me cannot help but wonder....
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Again, no flame intended but I have to agree with Deborah. THere really isn't another way to interpret those comments. Even if he WAS only stating that "One of the problems with breastfeeding is that you don't really have any idea how much your baby is eating. It is possible that he is vomiting because he's getting too much milk. If that is the case, it's a problem that you are breastfeeding because that means there is no way for us to know exactly how much he is eating." that statement also shows his ignorance about breastfeeding. It IS possible to tell exactly how much a BF baby is eating - it's called a pre and post feeding weight check. Just as accurate as watching the ounces disappear from a bottle. I agree with Tammy though, that the amount of food is rarely the issue. Babies generally don't eat beyond being full.

Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

uncommon sense Guest

Wow! I'm amazed by the number of truly intelligent and sensible posters on this board. They'd obviously have to be if they consider an individual who's gone through 4yrs of college, 4yrs of medical school and a couple of years of residency an "idiot" and "a complete moron." You must all be brain surgeons or rocket scientists.

First off, I'd like to say that I'm a proponent of breastfeeding and have chosen this feeding method for my baby. However, I hope I don't become so extremely subjective that I throw out despicable adjectives at one who GENERALLY knows more about children than me. Having read several articles on the benefits of breastfeeding might have made me more knowledgeable and empowered, but does that make me any smarter than your regular pediatrician? Just because someone doesn't share the same opinion as me on certain subjects does not make him/her "a complete moron" or even a "stupid ped." It's unfortunate that he made such a blanket statement, but it's also unfortunate to see how posters here view pediatricians whose opinions may differ from theirs.

"That man has issues." Wonderful blanket statement there, as I'm sure you don't.

"...you and your DH are well educated..." And I guess a DR AIN'T!

"where did this guy get a medical degree--Bozo U?" Obviously not from the same Ivy League institutions as you posters

"I can't believe that you had to focus on this Dr's limited education..." Wow, and to think if he only had to take courses on breastfeeding throughout the years rather than a wide-varied curriculum, he would've made you happy.

"He is wrong" Jeez, I'm sure you're always right.

And best of all: "He's blatantly going against AAP...and jeopardizing the health of babies." Stop, there's a renegade Dr on the loose who's out to harm babies.

If your goals are to encourage people to breastfeed, then please post sensible and objective comments. I don't think I have to spell out what you might come across as otherwise.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, your first posting and it insults many longstanding and widely respected members of this community in one fell swoop! Did you know at least one of the posters in this thread is a medical doctor herself? The title of MD does not confer magical status on an individual. I feel sorry for people who think it does. And frankly, I do consider myself as intelligent as any medical doctor, and probably have more time to research many issues regarding my baby's health than they do. Members of this board are looking out for the health and well being of our babies, period. If that does not agree with a particular doctor's views then so be it. We are not here to defend doctors. We are here for our babies.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

papal Guest

Thanks Jennifer. You said exactly what I was thinking, but you wrote it much better than I ever could have.

Just because you have a medical (or any other degree), that does not make you good or great in that field. Someone has to graduate at the bottom of their class, right? (partially kidding here).

mommd Guest

As someone who is currently in medical school, I can tell you that we don't have ANY classes on breastfeeding. You don't have to go to an ivy league school to know that breastfeeding is what is recommended by the AAP and the WHO. I go to sad little University of Illinois and even *I* have managed to learn that.

If you have truly researched breastfeeding, you too would know that this doctor is going against the AAP. You should also know that one of the most important things about a Ped is that they SUPPORT YOUR FEEDING CHOICES, among other things.

These boards are an excellent resource, and I'm sorry you feel a need to attack long standing members, and therefore are unlikely to receive much help from them in the future.

toomanystrollers Guest

TROLL ALERT

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast