Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    lag555 Guest

Default RE: "It's very unfortunate that you're breastfeeding"

I disagree with your statement about medical doctors generally knowing more about children than I do. I think that a trained medical doctor may know more about medical and health issues. But that doesn't mean he knows more about children or childhood.

uncommon sense Guest

Another WOWWIE.

I'm the one doing the "insulting" around here? Puh-leez. Did some of you ever read some of the comments posted earlier? Isn't that sort of like the pot calling the kettle black? HELLO! And where did I directly insult any posters? If there was anybody doing any insulting...

"TROLL ALERT!" That's a good one. Just because someone comes on this board and points out some of the deplorable, venomous comments made by certain posters in reference to a health-care professional who may not share the same opinions on a certain subject as some of you...that makes him or her a troll. Lady, we're all here to share info and opinions on this board (even if we may differ) and you wouldn't want me to share my current opinion of you.

Look, I respect many of you (I've read posts from many of you), value your opinions, and praise you for taking the time to help others on this board. But I'm also quite stunned by the overly harsh characterizations thrown around sometimes...particularly in regards to one particular subject.

And yes a medical doctor doesn't know more about my own child or yours any more than we do. And no I'm not a doctor. But he or she does know more about health issues re children than you or I would...and isn't that what the original poster took their child in for in the first place? Yes, it's unfortunate what came out of his mouth later because it does not coincide with the predominant medical view out there. What's equally disturbing however is the mob mentality that is clearly evident sometimes on this board.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's unfortunate that he made such a blanket statement, but it's
    >also unfortunate to see how posters here view pediatricians
    >whose opinions may differ from theirs.

Well, we're not talking about opinions. We're talking about well-established medical facts. Formula feeding has a wide variety of health risks associated with it, as have been demonstrated again and again over 30 years of research.

>
    >"...you and your DH are well educated..." And I guess a DR
    >AIN'T!

Not about breastfeeding, apparently. This is pretty common-- medical schools generally don't teach much about breastfeeding.

>"He is wrong" Jeez, I'm sure you're always right.

He is.

>
    >And best of all: "He's blatantly going against AAP...and
    >jeopardizing the health of babies." Stop, there's a renegade
    >Dr on the loose who's out to harm babies.

Well, if you care to read the AAP and WHO recs, you'll see that he is completely ignoring them. And the suggestion that bf is harmful and FF is the better choice IS a detriment to babies' health.

This post was really offensive and out of line. I'd like to welcome you to the boards, but starting out by singling out and criticizing regular posters is getting off on the wrong foot.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As an MD who has gone through 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school at the 4th ranked med school in the country, 3 years of residency, and 1 year of graduate school in Health Evaluation Sciences, I can honestly say that what this pediatrician said was incorrect, out-of-line and possiblly harmful to his patient. It wasn't malpractice, but it was definitely a comment that could lead to harm in children by encouraging unnecessary weaning to a suboptimal substitution.

I also know, both from personal and professional experience, that there are plenty of good doctors who do and say stupid things that they might take back in hindsight (though, to quote Meg Ryan, "it's already out there..."), but I also know plenty of bad doctors. If this is representative of his understanding of 1) infantile reflux, 2) breastfeeding 3) communicating with patients 4) professionalism, then odds are you got yourself a bad egg. Either way, why would you take a chance?

Furthermore, these boards are not only for information and advice, but for support. Enthusiasm on the subject is a reflection of our dedication to the OP, all posters, all babies, and a better world.
    :)

ETA: Reporting would go the the state licensing board, to my knowledge, though I doubt it would have any effect. Right or wrong, they tend to only act on major violations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Are you a regular member posting under a different name? If you truly are a new member, stick around longer and you'll see that this is a wonderful place for parents to come and share.

Lisa

lag555 Guest

I don't know why I'm bothering to post this because I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't think the issue here is breast-feeding or formula-feeding. It doesn't really matter what the "predominant medical view" is. Doctors, like other individuals, are allowed to have preferences and opinions. That is why people interview doctors before patronizing a practice -- because you want to ensure that you and your doctor are on the same page regarding issues such as feeding, vaccinations, etc.

I think the issue here is the attitude of the doctor, which sounded curt and judgemental and was obviously hurtful and insulting to the original poster. And there is no reason a customer/patron/patient should have to accept a relationship like that. Now, maybe the doctor was having a bad day, or maybe it came out wrong, or maybe the original poster is touchy about the subject (sorry, just throwing out the "maybe"s), but the point is that all the "maybe"s are completely irrelevant. If you don't like your doctor's attitude, it is probably time to change.

Aggie

uncommon sense Guest

I'm not here to argue the merits of breastfeeding vs. formula feeding. I'm in total agreement with you that breastfeeding is best for babies.

"This post was really offensive and out of line." How so more than the preceding posts? I'm sure you'll agree that the preceding posts could be viewed as offensive and out of line to potential other readers. If you were to characterize pediatricians who don't share the same stance as you on the subject of breastfeeding as "idiots" and "complete morons," JEEZ, what do you think of your average individual who has made the choice of FF for herself and her baby?

And did I truly "single out" individuals? No. I singled out baneful comments. Did I criticize regular posters? Not regarding their choices on raising their children but YES on the manner in which they judge others who might not necessarily agree with their choices. So am I really being offensive or are you just being overly defensive?

I rarely see anyone make harsh judgments of those who chose to breastfeed (such as myself), but why do I see it so much the other way here? Is it too much to have a modicum of decorum?

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Snannon,
    Loved your post - all I could think to say was W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R, so I'm glad you had something more eloquent. I can't understand how anyone can defend this doctor who was so obviously wrong. I think he's been reading to much freebie literature from the formula companies. There is a ped in the practice I go to that says all of "his" babies need to be supplemented with formula, and I can confirm this because he was the one we had to get through to get out of the hospital and he told me to supplement formula with every feeding. These doctors are out there! (My ped in the same practice has never mentioned the word formula to me)

Lisa,
    I was wondering the same thing! I always do when someone says they have been reading and then their first post is so confrontational. I can't imagine someone would sit around and read our posts for a long time and then finally post only to try to start a fight. There is nothing wrong with a different opinion, but why not ease in to the group with some positive posts first?

Can people just sign in with different names without it being detectable? I've often wondered - I would think the website administrators would be able to tell, but I do not know.

Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm sure you'll agree that the
    >preceding posts could be viewed as offensive and out of line
    >to potential other readers. If you were to characterize
    >pediatricians who don't share the same stance as you on the
    >subject of breastfeeding as "idiots" and "complete morons,"
    >JEEZ, what do you think of your average individual who has
    >made the choice of FF for herself and her baby?

I don't agree at all. Again, it's not about sharing a stance, it's about distributing wrong and harmful information under the guise of medical advice. Nowhere did I or anyone else comment about what we think of mothers who make the choice to FF.

>I rarely see anyone make harsh judgments of those who chose
    >to breastfeed (such as myself), but why do I see it so much
    >the other way here? Is it too much to have a modicum of
    >decorum?

Again, nobody is criticizing FF moms. We're criticizing this poorly informed pediatrician.

To all: Alan & Denise have been alerted to this thread.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

toomanystrollers Guest

"Lady, we're all here to share info and opinions on
    this board (even if we may differ) and you wouldn't want me to
    share my current opinion of you."

"And did I truly "single out" individuals?"

I think you did, and usually trolls find great pleasure in doing so.

Have a nice day :)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast