deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default "Extended BFers" - how often do you nurse?

I realized yesterday DS didn't nurse between the hours of 11:30am and 7:30pm. Oops! DH was home and it was his birthday and I just got distracted. We went out for a late lunch 9waiting for his majesty to wake from his 2.5 hour nap - of course, only when we want him to wake does he actually sleep!) and Kai ate a lot there, then we did a little shopping, then we ate dinner not that long after getting home - so he ate plenty and he drank water with a little juice in it. If he was telling me he wanted to nurse at some point, I must have missed it!

So it got me to wondering how often older babies/toddlers are nursing? I don't want to wean yet, but I guess it would be OK if he didn't want to nurse during the day. Although it sure is easier to bring my boobs on an outing than it is to remember to pack some healthy food for him, but I guess I'll have to get used to that!!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

COElizabeth Guest

Default RE: "Extended BFers" - how often do you nurse?

We weaned at 18 months, but between a year and that time he got to where he nursed only in the AM, before nap, and before bed. If we were out and he fell asleep in the car instead of napping at home, he sometimes didn't have a mid-day nursing session. After a year or so, he hardly ever nursed anywhere but at home - it just happened naturally. I think what you describe is very common, and I wouldn't worry that he is completely weaning yet. But yes, solid food is a pain to carry around. :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    EDD #2, 10-30-04

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We nurse in the morning, at nap time and bedtime and loads in the night at the mo! I always just take food with us if we're going out. I always keep a spare little package of raisins and cheerios in my bag in case of emergencies! Sandwiches and fruit are a staple going out food.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is 13 months and we're nursing once a day if that...always at night before bedtime!

Laura
    mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we nurse in the morning when she wakes up (or an hour before "waking"), morning snack, afternoon snack, then before bed (or in the bath if it's bath night)...so that's about four times during the day (sometimes more). then she nurses every 3 hours at night. this girl likes her boobs. dh keeps joking she likes them so much she's sure to be gay :) (please no one flame me for that comment, i actually would be fine if she were!)

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Kayla will be 1 on May 1st, and we have been doing morning and before bed for about 2 weeks. She doesn't really love milk, but the ped says that's fine...just make sure there is dairy in the diet.

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    5-1-03

jubilee Guest

We are at 4 times a day. Once at wake up, before each nap, and then at bedtime. Now that we are maybe going to one nap a day, I guess it will only be 3 times soon.

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are now 3 times a day as of this week; when she wakes up, lunchtime and when she goes to bed. For the last 4 days I have stopped a snack one that we did after breakfast before daycare, -its been very stressful!

Lucy (DD 3/03)

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hmm. I'm not sure if I'm considered an extended BFer, but DD is 13 mos now. We basically only nurse 2x a day, in the morning and before bed (I'm a WOHM) but she also gets 1 bottle of pumped milk at daycare. She gets her meals and then sippy cups with milk or water during the day.

Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

At nearly 14 months we are still nursing 4-5 times a day depending on Caleb's mood, etc. He always nurses upon waking, before nap, after nap and before bed. He sometimes adds a mid morning "snack" and/or a late afternoon "snack". It just depends what he's doing whether he "asks" to nurse more often.
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03