Thread: Zwiebak toast

Default Zwiebak toast

I was wondering if anyone knew of any produccts on the market similar to Nabisco's Zwiebak (sp?) toast for babies. I was at a friends the other day and she gave my DS some and he loved it. I went to buy some today and realized it had hydrogenated vegetable oil and sugar in it so I didn't buy any. I tried melba toast and rice cakes, but they seemed a little too hard and I was afraid he might choke on it. He loves cheerios(the organic kind),teething biscuits(Earths Best) and rice puffs. He is 7 1/2 months old. Any suggestions?
    Alyssa

s_gosney Guest

Default RE: Zwiebak toast

Alyssa-

My ped today suggested giving dd zwiebak toast, so I thought of this post. Here's a link to a recipe I found. I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for it, but hope it helps you!
    http://www.sahmdiapers.com/zweiback.htm

Thanks Sherri. I didn't even think of making it myself. I printed out the recipe and will probably make it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Alyssa

s_gosney Guest

Great! I'll be looking forward to your report! :)

Hi Sherri,
    I tried the Zwiebak toast recipe, but they turned out more like dinner rolls. I was expecting something hard like toast. In the recipe they said to roll the dough into balls and bake? I gave one to my DS, but he was able to bite off big pieces and I was afraid he might choke on it. My DH and I ended up eating them, they were very soft and tasty. Well maybe I search online to see if I can find another recipe. Thanks anyway.

Alyssa

s_gosney Guest

how strange! I looked at the gerber ones in the store and was surprised at the ingredient list. Wheat flour was first on the list (I think). I thought it was widely accepted to wait on wheat, but what do I know.
    Hope you find something that works!