sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Charity rejects Nestle donation!!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/s...1210418,00.html

I think this is awesome! I'm making a donation to them.

http://www.breakthrough.org.uk/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Default RE: Charity rejects Nestle donation!!!!

OT, but Wow, I can't believe they (Nestle) push formula in under developed countries whose water supply isn't safe - it even said babies die from it. How could a company get away with that?

My mom just found out she has breast cancer, and there are many moments I am thankful I have breastfed DD over 18 months (breastfeeding for a total of 18 months or more decreases your chances of getting BC)

Lisa

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Lisa, the more I read, the more disgusted I am with Nestle. They recently had a forum on another site with dieticians offering advice on infant feeding. Reading the advice they were giving was making me physically ill -- it would so obviously sabotage 90% of breastfeeding moms, though subtlely. If you really want an interesting perspective, check out Milk Money Madness.

I've actually given up Juicy Juice (one of my FAVORITES) because it is a Nestle product. Very sad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's really cool that they rejected the donation. I am sorry about your mom's breast cancer, I hope her recovery goes smoothly and quickly. It was nice of you to mention the 18 mo thing. I asked my ob about it, b/c my neighbor had BC and said she regretted not BFing. Anyways, my ob told me that 6 wks of BF was enough to decrease my chances of BC!!! However, I've learned already that most docs are not well informed about BF in general... it's pretty frustrating, esp when they tell you BF is best, yet they know practically nothing about it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Thanks for the link, Shannon! I love that they rejected the $$ and I also love that the article refers to Nestle's product as "milk substitute", too! It doesn't sound as innocent or appealing as "formula".

I read a lot about Nestle and other milk substitute mfr issues off the Mothering site and found a link to a page that lists all Nestle products and subsidiaries - there are a LOT! I wish I could find the link. I was surprised to see Redken hair care on it! I now need to find new conditioner...
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DH told me that some years ago (not sure when) Nestle gave a bunch of powdered milk to some developing country and almost all of the people were lactose intolerant and lots of them died. Apparently it was a huge fiasco. Someone in my building works for Nestle, and when Don mentioned that to her, she got a little irritated.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Good for them! Now we should all donate to this charity to help them along. Wow. I'm very impressed.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02