Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    nohomama Guest

Default RE: another cup question - help!

With any straw cup, I've found that I need to make sure that the "assembly" (for lack of a better word) needs to be put together tightly. If it's not, the straw comes very close to the bottom of the cup and sucking on the straw can actually create a vacuum. We've had this happen with BOTH Platex and Nuby cups and it always happens on airplanes (due to the low pressure). Unscrewing the lid and tightening everything up has always solved the problem for us.

nohomama Guest

In the last six months all the cups, straw or sippy, I've purchased have been Nuby cups. I like them because they're cheaper than other brands by quite a bit and Lola likes their contoured shape (easy to hold, I guess) and, in their case of the sippy cups, the soft spouts.

nohomama Guest

I don't have a dishwasher so I periodically run a q-tip through the straw. Works like a charm to clean out any kind of biofilm that builds up in there.

christic Guest

just wanted to second (or 8th :)) the Nuby sippy suggestion and add that it's not even suction that's required to get the liquid flowing--more of a bite down. I'd think a teether would like it for that too. Its silicone top also makes it bottle-like so that it would be a good transition cup.

Another one that I don't see around as much anymore but our Wal-mart has now is called something like the Tumblemate toddler trainer. They come in a pack of 6 or so, colored bottoms with white tops. The spout just has a slit in it so it always seemed to me to be fairly close to drinking out of a regular cup but with some spill protection. They also work very well as cups on their own without the lid, which I like.

Good luck!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used to use these a lot, but I don't anymore. Just a warning, Sarah now bites through the tops in 2 seconds. The straw is made from hard plastic and breaks pretty easily. So if your kid likes to bite on the straws, these may not be a good choice.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

y'all are awesome. am home with jack as he has pinkeye (again!) and has been rejected from daycare. i'm going to try to make it out to walmart to see if they have either there. debbi, if not, i may be emailing you, as my official baby feeding acoutrement supplier!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am so glad this came up. I have been wishing and wishing for a smaller straw cup (but not Take N Toss). We use and love the Playtex straw cups, but 12 oz is big for anything but water and sometimes I would like to have a smaller cup for my bag. I tried one of the small Rubbermaid straw "juice box" style cups last week and we didn't like it at all. I just got back from WalMart and the grocery store (I like the older style Playtex cups and have to get them at the grocery store) with new cups and straws and they're awesome! Thank you all so much for the suggestions. We got another 12 oz straw cup, a WalMart Parent's Choice brand straw replacemement set, and a pack of 2 6oz Playtex sippies. The straw set has 4 "long" straws in it and they fit perfectly in the Playtex top in the 6 oz cup. Woo hoo!!

Ahhh ... the things I get excited about these days ...
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Are these the Playtex straw cups you're both talking about???
    http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandme...cts/stage4.asp

I've seen them in Target but I figured they'd be way too big for Declan. He does really well with his Playtex First Sipsters. Will the straw tops fit on these?
    http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandme...cts/stage1.asp

FWIW, Declan (and I) can't stand the Avent sippy cups.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

No prob sweetie! Hope the pinkeye gets cleared up. :)
    Mom to R and R

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, those straw cups are the ones I mean. Unfortunately the straw lids do NOT fit on the training type sippy cups.

The straw cups do fit on all these type cups:
    http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandme...cts/stage2.asp

He should be ready for the stage 2 cups, I would think.

I also hated the Avent sippies.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast