mandye Guest

Default Are there any special rules about yogurt?

Basically, what I want to know is if any yogurt will do. Does it have to be the full fat kind? Does it have to be plain (Yuck)? Can it have chunks of fruit?

Mandy

Default RE: Are there any special rules about yogurt?

Rules ... hmmm, not really. Babies don't need to have their fat intake limited before 2 years so I would guess a lot of moms give their babies full fat yogurt. I do because Kaitlin is a peanut but she has had low-fat when I was eating it. It does not have to be plain but (as with juice) some moms prefer to limit the amount of sugar their kids have. And I think chunks of fruit are fine if your child is willing to eat it. I know some people give plain yogurt and then mix in real fruit to flavor it.

I buy flavored Yo Baby for Kaitlin but I wouldnt' hesitate to give her low-fat, fruit-filled yogurt if it was all I had.
    Kim

JenCA Guest

I give my daughter organic plain yogurt, she likes it!

I feed Ryan the Whole Milk full fat Organic plain yogurt from Horizon or Stoneyfield Farms. I mix it with wheat germ, a little cereal, avocado, or whatever he has not had that day from a veggie or fruit. He will eat it plain though and loves it! I am not a fan of sugary things for him, so as long as he'll eat the plain without anything in it, that's what he'll get. Amazing how they're tastes are not like ours yet and they'll eat it plain. :)

Babies need the fat so don't get the lowfat kind.

Mom to R and R

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No yogurt only rules but if your baby is less than a year keep in mind these two other guidelines:

No Strawberries (in fruit yogurt)
    No Honey- TONS of brands of fancy yogurt have honey, which should be avoided in the first year. I found this out after I bought a a bunch of Brown Cow yogurt for my son.

My son will eat sweetened and plain yogurt and it is the perfect food to mix with things- yougurt and cereal, fruit, veggies, juice etc.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Note that honey is only bad if it is raw - if it has been cooked, it is fine. I don't know what form is in the yogurt, but just wanted to mention that.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My ped said nothing with aspartame or any other artificial sweetener. We use Yo Baby, but DS really prefers plain yogurt over flavored!