muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help needed-sore breast........

My left breast hurts, the whole breast just aches constantly. I have thrush, could it be related? We are having lots of latch problems as well, so we alternate positions quite a bit, so I don't think its a plugged duct (there isn't any kind of a lump or hard area). Could I be wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01/01
    & Alex 04/27/04

westchicagomom Guest

Default RE: Help needed-sore breast........

It sounds like what I had at about 6 weeks PP. I thought we had thrush and in fact the ped gave DD a scrip for nystatin because of a yeast rash but refused to diagnose thrush or treat me because there were no white patches in her mouth. It really felt like I had thrush and it wouldn't have been a surprise since I was on antibiotics for a fever during delivery and for a week PP. And then again for another 2 weeks PP due to an infected c/s incision.

In any case, I felt the same as you, but never felt a lump/hard area. Eventually I got feverish and went to the doc where they diagnosed mastititis.

From what I read, thrush can lead to mastitis. Is there any kind of redness on the breast or does a certain area feel hot? Those are signs of infection and you should see a doctor soon.

If you don't have any other symptoms, it could just be the thrush - but I am no doctor, so maybe talk to an LC??

Hope you feel better soon!