Default Are we the only ones who feed a 14 month old baby food?

We like to keep jars of baby food at hand ( usually Earth's Best). It's just a convienient way to get him to eat fruits and veggies. We usually mix some fruit with oatmeal for breakfast. And occasional we will give a jar of veggies with lunch or dinner as a "side" dish. We try to give him fresh steamed veggies or diced fruit whenever possible- but sometimes we just can't find the time. I figure it's better that eating junk without the fruit and veggies. Are we the only ones who do this? Oh yeah DS loves almost everything he's every tasted and he eats a wide variety of flavors and textures so I don't think it's hurting anything.

Edited for typos

mattiew Guest

Default RE: Are we the only ones who feed a 14 month old baby food?

At 18 months our DD still eats some baby food. She is extremely picky about textures and will not eat regular vegetables and only a couple of fruits. My philosophy is whatever it takes to get them to eat well!! I even enjoy a little of the baby food fruit as a quick snack on occasion : )

Carrie

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I still give baby foods fruit, mostly because its easy. If he ate the veggies, I'd give those too -since he is not a big veggie eater. I offer fruits as a snack and I keep one in my diaper bag for something to offer on the go if he isn't interested in much (um, meaning more than fries) at a restaurant (I also bring yogurt for that purpose).

I also give fresh fruits, which he loves. But sometimes its just easier plus I can always have on hand. I view it as a healthy treat for him.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

we still use the babyfood fruits to mix with her cereal, but she won't let us feed her anything with a spoon, so the rest of the jar food doesn't work for us now.

(we make the cereal thick enough that she can feed herself with the spoon and her fingers)

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

barbarhow Guest

Jack still loves his jarred foods. Some of them anyway. Fruits and some veggies. He won't touch anything with meat in it. The face he makes is pretty hilarious. He gets oatmeal mixed with fruit most mornings for breakfast. He has no interest in veggies or fruits that are cubed. I guess he prefers the smooth texture of the puree.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Default Barbara

I am loving Jack's new avatar!!! He looks like such a big boy and how cute is he?!?!?!? :)
    Mom to R and R

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We do this too. And funny because we also call it a side dish. Declan has no problem munching down cheeses, pastas, breads and fruit but not so much on the meats & veggies. So this way I know he's getting some of those by slipping them in his mouth between bites.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

tinkerbell1217 Guest

My two ate baby foods til they were around 18 months with some table food mixed in too. Usually it was the only way to get my DD to eat veggies. I think it was the Beech Nut stage 3 or toddler meals or something like that. So, they still had to chew some of it. I wouldn't worry!