quikeye Guest

Default Recommendation of baby solids books/websites? Starting out, cookbooks, theory, everything...?

Hi all, I know it's been discussed and I've found several books thru search, but I wanted to know if I'm missing any I absolutely shouldn't? DS had his 4 month appt and ped asked us about foods-- I don't want to start solids til 6 months (excl. bf'd), but I'd love to start reading up on how to introduce foods, as well as making them myself... plus nutritional guidelines/etc. for babies thru toddlerhood... Ped said to start w/ the rice cereal 1st, but I'd like to know more (even about the cereals)...

I've found recommendations on:
    Super baby food
    First meals
    Mommy Made and Daddy too
    Child of Mine
    Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers
    Heathy Baby Meal Planner
    AAP Guide to your child's nutrition

and the websites:
    kellymom.com
    wholesomebabyfood.com

... Anyone have advice/reviews on them? Ones you like more/less? I'd really like to read about HOW to feed (cookbooks, logistics of feeding! I'm really new at this!) as well as WHY (nutrition, why specific foods, etc.) Or any other books that aren't on my list?

I'm bummed that my local library has only child of mine and the aap book, so I wanted to get some reviews before I go out and buy, you know what I mean?

So excited to start this chapter in our lives :)

Default RE: Recommendation of baby solids books/websites? Starting out, cookbooks, theory, everything...?

The one I found most useful was Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers. It was informative and yet short enough that it wasn't confusing.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Recommendation of baby solids books/websites? Starting out, cookbooks, theory, everything...?

Karen,

did you read or consider the Super Baby Food book (or whatever it's called)?
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

yes I read that one too. I liked it for the reference in the back as to what age to feed each food and how to prepare it. (realizing that some of the info is outdated, but it was a good quick way to look up things)

If I were only going to buy one feeding book, it would be Ellyn Satter Child of Mine, and I would read it while still pregnant because it covers breastfeeding or formula feeding too. (even though I don't consider this book to be breastfeeding friendly, it still has some excellent concepts)

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03