CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Dr. Brown users, how do you warm up the bottle?

Are you supposed to remove the nipple and collar before warming up the bottle? The instruction says so, but then do you just warm the bottle with the tube and the vent disk in it? I didn't want to warm the bottle that's open to air and left the nipple and collar on. The bottle leaked like crazy around the nipple and collar. Anyone else have the same problem? Is there any easy way? We got Dr. Brown because Avent leaked. Now we are having the same problem over again. Also, did you find the nipple cover hard to fit on the 4oz bottles? I had to use force to snap it on, but then couldn't take it off. But I only had this problem with the 4oz bottle, not with the 8oz. I think it's the 4oz collar which may be a tiny bit larger than the 8oz, because when I switched them, the same lid snaps easily.

Thanks,
    Li
    Baby Jasmine 3/18/04
    Baby Justin 9/18/07

Judegirl Guest

Default RE: Dr. Brown users, how do you warm up the bottle?

Are you warming in water or in a bottle warmer?

We use Dr. Brown's and don't have leaks (though she gets the milk all over herself, it's not leaking from the collar, the way Avent was.) You might be tightening the collar too much (or too little). I'd experiment with that.

We try not to warm milk in the Dr. Brown's bottles because they're made of polycarbonate, and we're not convinced that they don't leach chemicals when warmed. (However, others are convinced, so don't let my paranoia scare you!) But when we do warm them, we use a bottle warmer and just take the chill off, leaving everything assembled in/on the bottle.

Hope that helps!

Jude

CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I used a bottle warmer. Afterward, the water in the warmer was cloudy and my EBM was leaking around the collar when I tilted the bottle. I might have warm up the bottle a little too much this time? The bottle was warmer than usual and maybe the steam broke the seal. It didn't happen before when I warmed up the bottle. I warm the bottle also to take the chill off since I store EBM in the fridge trying to get DD get use to the bottle when I go back to work.
    Li
    Baby Jasmine 3/18/04
    Baby Justin 9/18/07

babymama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've noticed a bit of leaking from Dr. B's - mainly only when the bottle has been turned upside down/tipped over in the diaper bag, etc. I've learned to use those white sealing discs when travelling, so as to minimize leaks. Sometimes we get leaks too if we shake the bottle to mix formula w/ water. I've learned to put in the sealing discs before shaking. Neither of these seem to be causing your leaking, though. I agree with the PP - to play with tightening and loosening the nipple collar.

We always take the nipple and collar off when warming at home (both in a bottle warmer and in a Pyrex filled w/warm water), We leave in the long skinny gas tube thingy and the green cap that attaches to it - sorry don't know the real names for them.

We take the long skinny gas tube thingy out and drip the milk onto back of our wrists to test the milk temp periodically when the bottle is warming.

At DS's school, they leave the nipple on when warming, but take out the gas tube thingy and green cap. There, they use a crock pot filled with warm water - the bottle goes in a coffee mug that stays in the crock pot at all times. I suspect they leave the nipple on, so that the bottles don't spill if they tip over in the crock pot. I don't know why they do it that way.

Yes, the nipple covers (we're talking about the cap that goes over the top of the bottle when you're not feeding baby, right?) on mine are tough to get on/off. Hadn't noticed them easier on 8 oz vs. 4 oz. I have to sometimes use both thumbs to take off the cover and have to bang the cover with my hand sometimes to get it on.

HTH!
    Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
    Avents leaked like crazy for us too. Dr. B's worked like a dream compared to our experience w/ Avent.

westchicagomom Guest

We usually warm plain water up in a covered glass bottle in the bottle warmer and do the mixing and assembling once the water is warm.

I don't totally understand the mechanics of the Dr. Brown bottle - but it does allow air in unlike other bottles (which is why there is no vacuum created leading supposedly to less ear infections, etc.). I think what you are experiencing is due to the air inside the bottle warming up, it is expanding and forcing liquid out.

We usually just put a makeshift cover on the glass bottle. No problems w/ the collar on either the 4 or 8 oz bottles.

We usually warm them in running water, but I do have a bottle warmer for when I am in a hurry. I use the Especially For Baby one from Babies R Us and love it. When I use the bottle warmer I leave the nipple and collar on but don't tighten them much. It never leaks this way because you're allowing room for some ventilation and the milk won't go up the tube because of the heat...

HTH!

Ana

We use a bottle warmer, and we take the nipple off. So it's just the bottle and the disk and tube in it. When it's ready, I screw the nipple on and go. We've never had any problems from doing it this way.

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We do it as khakismom does it. Never any problems either.