Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    StaceyKim Guest

Default If you had a c-section and BF...I have a few questions...

what was the best nursing position right after the c/s?
    did you prefer the boppy or the BF?
    did you get to nurse right away or did you have to wait a certain amount of time after the c/s?
    anything else i need to know??

TIA!

Stacey

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: If you had a c-section and BF...I have a few questions...

I found that the football hold was the most comfortable for several weeks. The cradle or cross-cradle was just too uncomfortable. I also did not use the boppy right-away. I found it difficult to maneuver for the football hold, so I just used a couple of regular pillows.

I was also able to nurse pretty quickly after the c/s. I don't remember having to wait any amount of time.

HTH!

StaceyKim Guest

Where you more comfortable in bed or in a chair/rocker?

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was able to nurse about 20 minutes after my c-section. Literally, it was as soon as they finished closing my incision! I would let the nurses and dr. know that you want to nurse as soon as possible (assuming that you do). My DD was very small (6 lb.), so I found the football hold difficult to use. I used the cross-cradle at first, and I was most comfortable sitting on the sofa. The glider was also fine, but the sofa had better support for my back. I used the Boppy from the second day onward with no problems. My pain was minimal. I had duramorph by IV for 24 hours following the cs, and then took Advil every 4 hours for a week afterward. I was offered Percocet, but I did not feel that I needed it. However, it is much better to take whatever pain medication you need than to try to tough it out!

pritchettzoo Guest

Ditto on the football hold. The boppy (and the BF would too, but I have no experience with it) goes right across your stomach, so it's a no-go for a few weeks. Just use pillows propped up. My favorite combo was a couple of sturdy pillows topped by a good feather pillow--it formed around the baby and helped hold her in place. I also liked putting the feather pillow on the arm of a chair (with big, wide arms)--it put her at just the right height where I didn't have to bend...OUCH...

I had an epidural with my c/s, so I was able to nurse as soon as I got back to my room, which was about 45 mins-1 hr after she was born (there were some complications with the closing, otherwise it would have been like 20 mins I think). The only reason you'd have to wait any longer would be if you had to have general anaesthesia (usually only in emergency situations.)

Don't be brave and refuse the pain meds--they're safe for your baby and you will recover faster without pain.

Good luck! :) Is your c/s soon? Did I miss something???

Anna

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I mostly nursed on the couch for the first few weeks. There really wasn't room in the glider to put all the pillows for the football hold. I don't think I used the bed too much, although I don't think I had any good reason why not.

StaceyKim Guest

>>Don't be brave and refuse the pain meds--they're safe for your baby and you will recover faster without pain. >>

I had to have a c/s with DS (he was huge 9lbs 5oz for my 5'1 petite frame) so I am having a repeat c/s. I KWYM about taking the meds, it definitely helps the healing process! They gave me Vicodin and it really helped with the pain!!

I didn't nurse with DS but I am planning on nursing with #2.

Not due till end of July! I will ask for a lot of pillows at the hospital!

lmariana Guest

I'm taking notes on your situation now, because I'll be in your shoes when we have a #2 on the way.

I had an unplanned c/s with Gabe and wasn't able to breastfeed him for 8 hours because of complications from my delivery and a bad hospital staff. Long story, but since I had breast reduction, I had a really, really small supply and it dried up at week two, so I didn't' get to BF Gabe.

My OB is confident that with the next one my supply should be fine though. I'll just have to pump around the clock. :) But at least I can better prepare myself for the next time around, knowing about my supply issues and c/s!

Please keep us posted on everything!

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com
    Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used the football hold, sitting up in bed in the hospital (with the back of the bed up at like 45 degrees.) Or in bed at home sitting up with pillows behind me, or on the couch. I had actually brought the boppy to the hospital, and although it was uncomfortable to put across your belly, if you are using the football hold you can put a few pillows down on the side that the baby is on, with the boppy on top with the ends sort of tucked in, so the baby lies on the part he normally lies on, except that the ends aren't around your belly. The midwives showed me that. You can use regular pillows, except the boppy is nice and firm and the baby doesn't sink down in it, and since I already had it I figured I might as well use it (plus it has a washable cover, so they don't poop or spit up on your regular pillows once you get home!) I switched to the cradle and cross cradle a week or so later.

You can nurse right away if you have no complications, unfortunately DS was in the NICU for about 24 hours, but I nursed him as soon as I could. As you may remember from your first section, you may not get to eat right away (depends on your hospital I guess, but I think it's standard w/ abdominal surgery that you just get clear liquids for the first 24 hrs or so, until they're sure your bowels are working ok.) So just make sure you drink a lot of water, and juice and popsicles, don't be shy to ask the nurses for juice and stuff. I actually wasn't hungry right away anyway, but I had been thru labor and had kind of a hard night after the c-section, so maybe that was why.
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

pritchettzoo Guest

You might want to bring a good pillow too--the hospital pillows I had were total crap. They have to be totally waterproof, so they were hard plastic rocks! It was like laying DD on a cardboard box...

Congrats on upcoming #2! :)

Anna

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast