Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    llcoddington Guest

Default RE: Refusing solids- how long can I wait to feed solids?

You know, I was thinking today that I trust all of you and your advice more than my ped! Well, actually, I do like and trust a few of the peds in the practice I go to, but not all of them. Usually, when they tell me something, I run it by the ladies here too! It's great to have such a resource as this board.

I took Lauren in to the doctor today because she is sick and spoke with one of the peds I like. He said not to worry one bit about the whole solids thing. Just to offer and get her used to a spoon. He also mentioned that she might just skip the whole baby food stage and go straight to finger foods.

Lana
    mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

llcoddington Guest

Default RE: THANKS!

Interesting. Thank you for the explanation. Seems there is so much conflicting info out there. I have heard similar explanations about drinking cow's milk and calcium absorbtion.

Yep, I am beginning to think that exclusively breastfeeding is SO EASY compared to the whole solid foods thing!

Lana
    mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

HelenD Guest

Default RE: Refusing solids- how long can I wait to feed solids?

You may have noticed a topic I started about my 8.5 month old still not wanting solids. <sigh> Trust me, I know how you feel.

Here's what I've learned:

I got some progress if I waited. That is, if she refused pretty clearly, I would just not offer solids for a couple of days. And if I offered in 2 days and she refused, I waited 5 days. That seemed to work in combination with always having her sit with us in the high chair while we ate and giving her a sippy cup of water (which she loves) as well as a spoon to play with. She'd at least try things, and then sometimes she'd be really into it. Then she'd stop. So I'd wait awhile and try again. Offering every day when she's not interested just seemed to worry me and frustrate her. Waiting in between refusals seem to get her a bit more interested.

Also, I read this article this morning which would have been nice to see 3 months ago but....

http://www.parentstages.com/index.as...le.asp?id=3433

The conclusion I finally came to was that developmentally DD is right on target (or before) for everything. She's just not into food just yet (although she really wants my afternoon Oatmeal raisin cookies some kind of bad).

I called my pediatrician and she suggested trying some of the softer, easy finger foods as well. I just had a feeling it was a bit of a control issue with her. I think she wanted to do it herself - my doctor said to try but to be cautious. Prior to this, I had been trying to do everything home made or using Earth First, but my sitter suggested I try the Gerber Veggie Puffs since I was freaked out about DD and teething biscuits (which she would eat, but scary fast). I got some Sweet Potato puffs last weekend and took them on a picnic with us. DD LOVED them. She is now SO into those it's amazing. She still doesn't want me to feed her, but she loves peas and the puffs. I've started putting a bit of strained food onto the puffs (like a little hors d'oeuvre) and that's working really, really, really well - although a complete mess.

I guess the point here is that, 1) I feel your pain (you are not alone), 2) Try waiting, don't push it, 3) there's nothing wrong w/ your DC as long as everything else developmentally is coming along, and 4) trust your instincts w/ DC. If you think it's what your feeding her, or that she wants to do it herself, or whatever, it probably is.

Good Luck.

Helen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3