Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Refusing solids- how long can I wait to feed solids?

I never gave vitamins or iron drops to Logan and she was breastfed exclusively for 8.5 months. Her iron was fine when she was tested at 9 months. Breastmilk has enough iron in it for babies.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Vajrastorm Guest

Aine is very interested in solids, but not in volume. So at 8 1/2 months she has tasted and enjoyed all sorts of foods, but she still lives off breastmilk. She has never eaten more than 2 tablespoons of solids at a time, and that is not a common occurance.

We will have her iron checked at 9 months, but Im not worried.

And - as for weight - she's 22 lbs :D

llcoddington Guest

Hi Mamicka! Good to see you here again. These posts have made me feel much better. I talked to my mom and she said I was not much of an eater either. So, I think I'll just offer solids and not worry if Lauren doesn't want anything to do with them. Of everything I have tried, she did seem more interested in the peas!

Lana
    mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

llcoddington Guest

Default THANKS!

Thank you all! I feel much better now. Being a mom sure is nerve-wracking! I worry so much. I appreciate your advice and support!

Lana
    mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks Lana! Glad you're feeling better about the feeding stuff. Since you mentioned that Lauren likes peas, a couple peds have told me that if you find something that your child likes & you'd like them to eat more solids in general, give it to them often, at every sitting. Don't give her ONLY peas, still offer her other things, but don't worry that she's not eating a variety of foods. As long as other things are offered, she'll branch out when she's ready.

Allison

edited to fix grammar

Default RE: THANKS!

I just wanted to add that contrary to popular belief, eating iron-fortified foods reduces the amount of iron that is absorbed by the body from foods which are much more bio-available and healthy for the body. Some foods such as bm and meat have a type of iron that is very easily absorbed by the body. Even though they don't contain a great deal of iron, it isn't particularly significant because the type of iron the y docontain is almost all absorbed. On the other hand, rice cereal which is fortified with iron contains an iron which is not only very difficult for the body to absorb, but that type of iron interferes with the absorption of the iron which is easily absorbed from bm.

As others have mentioned, bm is "the perfect baby food" for your baby and meets her nutrional needs 100% up to the first year. Even after that, it takes a dip to 85% or something like that (just in case you have a later start with solids). I can't think of a more complete food! A very small percentage of bf babies need iron as they approach the one-year mark, but you can read the signs of anemia and begin iron-rich foods at that point if it is a problem (or have your baby tested). And even in that case, eating a food with bio-available iron will yield better results than something fortified with iron. Another interesting fact about absorbing iron is that the body does a better job when the iron is combined with Vitamin C. So, for that day way in the future when you're feeding solids :-), you may want to offer spaghetti with meat sauce. The meat contains the iron and the tomato sauce has the Vitamin C.

Sorry if this is way more than you wanted to know, but so few people know about how iron absorption works and use fortified infant cereals for the iron.

Enjoy your days of exclusively bfing. :-)

Chrys

papal Guest

Hi Allison! Just wanted to say that it is good to see you again!

Default RE: THANKS!

>Enjoy your days of exclusively bfing. :-)
    >

Yes, enjoy it! It's so much easier when all they are eating is breastmilk. Once you start solids, you have to remember to take food with you when you go out. We are planning to go away for the weekend, and I am trying to figure out what I need to pack in the cooler for her to eat in the car and for meals while we are on the road. It was much easier when all I had to do was open my bra. :)

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks Rashmi! That really means a lot. :)

Haven't read any other responses yet, but just wanted to add:

>At her 6 month appt., a new ped said that if I don't get her
    >going on solids, she will start losing weight. Is this even
    >true? I am feeling a bit paranoid about the whole thing.

That is SOOO not true. Solids are only for practice during the first 12m. She should be getting the vast majority of her nutrients from breast milk.

For what it's worth, Sophie didn't take any solids till 8m old.

You're doing great!!!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast