mickey Guest

Default feeding an 8 month old

I feel pretty clueless on this feeding thing. Right now baby is getting 2 ounces of cereal and half a jar of fruit + 6 oz of formula in the morning. For lunch some cheerios and 8 oz formula. Afternoon snack is 8 oz formula and for dinner 6 oz formula, 2 oz cereal and half a jar of meat/vegie stage 2 food. Is this sufficient? Sometimes she'll only take a bite or two or only takes half a bottle. Sometimes I try to put her formula in a cup (because her doc suggested putting formula in instead of water - so she'll be more interested). The only way she'll use the cup is if I hold it for her (which kind of defeats the purpose). I've been doing things this way for about a month - and don't feel like I'm making any progress on the feedings or using a cup - ANY ADVICE OUT THERE???

Default RE: feeding an 8 month old

that sounds like a lot of solids to me. But then I didn't start any solids at all until 8.5 months. I didn't go to three meals a day until she was 12 months old.

as for the cup . . . We had to hold Logan's cup for her for a long time until she learned to do it herself.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Colwyn is 8 months, and that sounds somewhat similar to what we're doing.

For breakfast, he has about 4 cubes (I think a cube is a tablespoon) of fruit or yogurt with cereal mixed in. Lunch is 2 cubes of veggies, 1 cube of fruit, and some pieces of chicken or beef. Dinner is almost always prunes, apples, and yogurt.. about 4 cubes worth.

He drinks about 20 ounces of formula a day in 4 ounce bottles, usually an hour before or after a solids meal. He's never drank more than 26 ounces of formula a day, so 20 isn't too low for him.

Lately he's been eating cut up pears, peaches, plums, and watermelon for some of his meals, and he sometimes has Pirate's Booty or cheese with a meal.

We don't do much with cups.. he loves to play with them, but he doesn't drink very well from them. We usually put water in it because I hate to waste formula. I don't think they're supposed to be good at drinking out of a cup yet.. it's still just practice.

He also has "off" days for food or formula once in a while, where he'll only take half of what he normally does. I try to just follow his lead.

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sydney has a 6 oz bottle in the morning then cereal & fruit, lunch sweet potato, or some kind of veggie, 6 oz bottle, afternoon 6 oz bottle & dinner, chicken soup ( chicken, potato, rice ) 6 oz bottle sometimes fruit.

total 24 oz formula, 3 meals

DS is breastfeeding, so I'm not entirely sure how many ounces he gets- but we always BF before fixing solids to eat, and we haven't had any BFing problems. He gets solids twice a day, and we give him as much as he wants but don't force it if he loses interest. He's not interested in cheerios yet, and we're only just starting meats. But he'll EASILY chow his way through 6 oz+ of cereal, friuts and/or veggies. I was worried he might be eating too much, but the pediatrician said IF Simon wants it, and he's not throwing it back up, then it's ok to give him as much as he wants. So I'm not worried, as long as the BFing continues to go well.

One thing I have tried to do is provide a wide variety of foods, and to prepare most of it myself from fresh ingredients. It's really easy, and I'll make lots and freeze it for later. Simon DEFINITELY prefers my veggies to the ones that come in a jar!
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07