Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Making Nursing Successful 2nd Time

Okay, this is waaaay in advance, but we've been talking about when to start trying for #2, so I've been pondering "what I'd do differently next time."

I wasn't successful at nursing Colwyn. We gave up after a few weeks, because at a LC appointment at 3 weeks, he only got 1 ounce after 20 minutes of nursing. He wasn't gaining weight so we had to supplement at every feeding. It was just really difficult for us and I was so overwhelmed that we quit.

Next time, I'd like things to be different. I'm not sure why I couldn't get my supply up - I suspect it was because Colwyn never did those long deep sucks, but I'm not sure. He did have a bottle in the hospital because of low blood sugar. I also rented an electric pump for a week before we quit, but I didn't notice that much of an improvement.

Any ideas on what I could do differently next time? Things I can ask my OB about, etc?

Thanks!

farsk Guest

Default RE: Making Nursing Successful 2nd Time

Rachel,

I would establish a good relationship with an LC you are extremely comfortable with. Maybe Colwyn didn't have a good latch? Anyway, these are things that a good LC can help you with. I love my LC, she is very supportive, very available, and always returns my calls. She has helped me much more than my OB or Ellen's Ped (mainly because I go to her with problems!)

Also, go home from the hospital with the electric pump. Leave the cans of formula there. My LC has said many times that a woman's success in nursing is almost always determined by her determination to do so.

Stay super hydrated. Stay super rested. Line up meals in advance.

Join a nursing mom's support group. They've been there and can help you when you get there!haha!

I've also heard that nursing behavior is diffent with each child.

Good luck. You can do it!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have thought about this too, even though #2 is not on the horizon. DS was also losing weight and I had to supplement, and ending up giving up BF at 1 month old. I do have a medical condition that may make me one of the few women that truly don't produce enough breastmilk, but I will certainly try again if there is a next time. Here are some things I am planning on doing.

1) Get a LC who is knowledgeable about women who have supply issues. I wasn't happy with my previous LC, she did too little too late to help me. She was free b/c she worked at the hospital, but I am willing to pay for better next time.

2) Have a hospital grade pump lined up or rented as soon as the baby arrives and start pumping as soon as the LC recommends, maybe right away. I also own a Medela PIS but wouldn't use that until my supply is well established. I will plan to pump after each feeding even if I don't get anything just to stimulate my breastmilk production.

3) Get some domperidone from either a compounding pharmacy or from the internet and start taking it as soon as my OB or the LC recommends, maybe right away after birth.

4) Have a baby scale rented or lined up to be rented. Having had supply issues, it would make me feel better to know how much milk is going into my baby for each feeding. Ideally (probably won't happen though!) I would weigh before and after each feeding to see how much milk the baby is getting until I know he/she is gaining reliably.

5) Have some fenugreek available (this did help me a little last time), but would need to check if it is ok to take with the domperidone. Eat lots of oatmeal and drink lots of water.

6) Purchase and have available a Lact-Aid supplementing system. I have heard this is a better product than the Medela SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). If my baby is going to get formula I am at least going to do it while also breastfeeding and not from a bottle right away.

These are all the things I can think of right now!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

I would start going to La Leche League meetings while you are pregnant. There is a woman who comes to ours who started when she was about 4 months I think. Just hearing other people talk about there issues and solutions may help you when your time comes. And you will already have that support network lined up and waiting.

make sure that if you do have to supplement, it is with a SNS or Lactaid so that baby is still suckling your breast and stimulating your supply.

Come here and post to get support and information and to double check on what you are being told. Not all lactation consultants know everything, and it always helps to have a second, third, fourth opinion.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Rachel,

I agree with Karen's comments about visiting the boards for information, support, etc. I can't tell you how helpful and informative I found the "feeding board" during pregnancy and in the first months of BF. Not only are so many of the women inspiring, but they offer great advice and support. I really credit the women in this community with helping to make BF successful for Ellie and me. She's almost 7 months old and we're still going strong!

jubilee Guest

Rachel, I wish you much success in nursing this time around. I also had trouble and misinformation when I nursed my first son. I was told to supplement (which diminished my supply) and within a few weeks he wouldn't nurse at all. When I had my second son I was very determined to nurse. I had a great LC, went to a breastfeeding class, read several books, and joined a nursing mom's support group at my hospital. I had supply issues and latch issues right from the beginning. But I took Reglan to help with milk production and used a nipple shield and ended up nursing Logan for 13 months. It is very possible to have a successful nursing relationship the second time around.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely make some contacts. Advice from everyone here and a brief conversation with Rachel made such a difference for me.

The whole low-blood-glucose thing is contraversial. On Lactnet, most LCs and other HCPs agree that they shouldn't even be checking unless there is a problem. If #2 has low blood sugar, tell them you will nurse first, and if that doesn't raise it (most will raise anyway), then hand express a little colustrum and feed it with a teaspoon or something similar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03