TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default what the heck am I doing wrong

I am almost always home so Sydney can nap, well she slept 2 full hours before, I made the mistake of looking in on her & she was up, crying, maybe she was about to get up anyway, because I didn't make any noise, who know's so I give her her afternoon bottle, she plays 5 minutes & is rubbing her eyes already & wants me to hold her, always wants to be held when tired so she's back in the crib crying, I cant take it anymore, she hardly ever wakes from naps well rested, makes life very tough ! We haven't left the house yet today, it's 4:20, we have a barbecue later, dont want her to be cranky, we'll have to put her to bed there then bring her home later.

needed to vent BIGTIME

she's almost 8 months old

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: what the heck am I doing wrong

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I (we) still have those days sometimes & DS is over a year (although DS has never slept for longer than 1.5 hours for a nap). Hang in there - vent away. :)

If she wants to be held when she is tired, I don't understand why you put her in the crib? Why not hold her?

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Even to this day when DD wakes up from her nap she likes to cuddle. Sometimes she is crying or just kind of wimpering. It takes her a few minutes of us just rocking. Sometimes we sing a few songs or read a few books. A two hour nap is really good at that age, I didn't get barely any of those until DD was 12 months old!!

Lisa

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep, I frequently have to hold and rock my 13 month old when he wakes up - he doesn't want to go back to sleep, but he is not fully awake yet, so I hold him and rock a little into he starts acting more awake. It's pretty rare that he wakes up smiling and happy, even with a 3 hour nap.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sydney isn't happy unless she gets all the sleep she needs, if I hold her she isn't happy, she needs to sleep more, if very obvious to me when she's still tired because she cries so I hold her but I would like her to sleep more if she needs it, hardly ever does she sleep 2 hour naps !!!!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds like you have her best interests at heart, so I can't imagine you're doing anything wrong - you're trying to help her sleep.

Not sure if this will help, but .... Our baby is 8 months old and she has been napping much better since we got a white noise machine. Much like your Sydney, she needs her long naps, and needs to wake up on her own or she's cranky. I used to have to tiptoe around the house because the least little noise would wake her up. I noticed that "shushing" would help her calm down and go to sleep. Now we use the white noise for every nap. It was a homedics model from Target for $12 or $15.