Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty...

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Jury duty...

Edited to say that I'm in Arizona, where BF does not count for an exemption (unless you're a primary caregiver, and if you work, you can't be...).

But, I called to check, and I can apparently bring my pump and they'll let me use an office to do so, and they even have a refrigerator I can use. I seem not to be the first to have asked...

So, we'll see how it goes...

----original post----
    I've been called for jury duty, and must report in the morning.

DS is 3 months old tomorrow. BF is well established, and I generally pump a total of about 20 oz during 3 sessions (roughly 9, 12, and 3).

I have my doubts that I will be allowed to pump at all (I was originally called to report on what happens to be the day after DS was born, and that was only reason enough to postpone.

Any suggestions on how to handle it if I have to be there all day and don't get to pump? I'm going to pump what I can in the morning before going -- that's my most productive time (occassionally as much as 10 oz!). I'm going to bring my PIS, but am not going to expect to be given any time to use it.

Anyone else been in this situation? Any suggestions at all?

TIA!!!!
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: ASAP! Help! Pumping and jury duty???

I am almost positive breastfeeding is an automatic ticket out of jury duty. Check with your local La Leche League for info.

I served jury duty 2 years ago, it was a great experience, and I do not support people trying to "get out of it", but I can't see, based on my experience, how you will have a healthy schedule for pumping. The days were erratic and you never knew when you'd get a break. I almost burst from having to pee one day while they went on and on with no break.

I would not wish it upon my worst enemy to have to serve jury duty while in the early stages of nursing. For the health of your nursing relationship (and your health, interms of avoiding infection) I would strongly recommend you try to get out of serving.

ETA - just read your edit, that is a crazy rule, I hope you can make the best of it. I guess if you get on a trial you will have to make it *very* clear to the clerk when you will need breaks. Maybe set it up with some kind of signal you can make to him/her if you need a break. Our clerks were very nice and accomodating.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Jury duty...

Just because you aren't exempt doesn't mean that you will actually get on a jury. Unless it is different in your state, and if I remember correctly from when I did this a while back, they will call people for a panel, I think that is random, then the lawyers ask everyone questions, and then each lawyer gets to exclude a certain number of people. At this time the judge asks if people have specific reasons that would make it difficult to serve. If you think it will be too hard for you, you should tell them. That said, I did go a whole day (taking a big exam) when DS was around 3 months, only pumping once. It was uncomfortable, but didn't affect my milk supply. I'd be worried about supply if a trial went on for a while though.
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

Cheryl,

Assuming jury selection is roughly the same across the country, they will call the potential jurors in panels. The panel sits in the box and the selection process (voir dire) begins. Ususally, the judge will ask if anyone has any conditions that make it difficult to serve (i.e., hearing loss, poor eyesight, etc.) I suggest you speak up and let the judge know you will need breaks at certain times. You may be excused (but will have to do jury duty later). If not, the lawyers may strike you off the panel. If the lawyers & judge look like they may be clueless about BF, tell them when you need a break and how long it will last. Make sure they understand that failure to take a break could result not only in loss of volume, but also Mastitis. If it is a multi-day trial, you don't want to lose a juror to illness after a day of testimony.

As an attorney and a mom who BF, I would never keep a BF mommy on the panel. If we were not able to break and that juror gets more uncomfortable as engorgement sets in, they will be distracted from the proof.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. My state does not have an automatic exemption for BF and I don't think we have ever faced that situation in my county.

Lisa

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

And I'd be honest and tell the lawyers that you plan to pump at certain times whether they are taking a break or not! The mental image of every juror and member of the court distracted by the whirr, whirr, whirr from your seat will convince them if nothing else will!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

I love it! I can just picture it. I have only pumped in public once, at an airport, but I would totally do it on jury duty if they didn't let me out of it or let me break.

Breastfeeding mothers of babies under 1 year of age should be exempt everywhere. Hey we could list it as another benefit of breastfeeding. :)

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Okay not to hijack and take away of the intent of this thread, but there was recently a judge in the news that himself had a pump under his robe that he was using during trials. And it wasn't a breast pump. Eeeewwwwwwwww!

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

papal Guest

Are you serious??!!! I hope he was disbarred... ewwwwww..... and i hope they burnt the gavel.....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I too got selected for Jury Duty in a couple of weeks. I got notice right before I was due. My son just turned 2 mo. and I am nursing also. I selected to postphone for a year later. I just got notice that I am on stand by and have to call the day before to see if I go or not. Do people on stand by generally get selected much? I also have 4 kids and no one to babysit right now.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, from what's been said in this thread, if you are the primary caregiver and you are nursing, that should have gotten you out of it. I'm not sure about stand-by, maybe someone else knows.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast