Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Laurelsmom2002 Guest

Default Pacifiers and breast feeding

I can't remember- darn these hormones-when can one introduce a pacifier to breast fed newborns??
    I looked in one book and it said 6 wks, I don't think we waited that long, but I cant remember
    Thanks

Default RE: Pacifiers and breast feeding

It seems to be one of those YMMV things. Most books say wait until "breastfeeding is well-established", so 6 weeks seems in line with that recommendation. All their sucking needs are suppposed to be met at the breast at first, to ensure they are getting enough milk, and to promote a good milk supply. Some people would say BF babies should never be given pacifiers. That wasn't practical for us, I work out of the home. My 5 mo old likes his paci for falling asleep, he can't fall asleep nursing, because the milk just keeps coming, I think. We waited two or three weeks, and gave his first bottle at about three weeks, as well. I think you just need to decide when you are confident that BF is going well. Since you're an experienced mom, I bet you have way less anxiety about it than I had!
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

i think it is up to you. i waited 4 weeks with schuyler. we were having horrible trouble with breastfeeding (not latch or weight gain issues, but PAIN issues) so i was worried that i would add fuel to the fire if i introduced the "binker" or bottle. but we didn't have any trouble. in retrospect, i think the binker would have helped with the pain because he was a super duper sucker who seemed to really need the sucking action. and since he gained weight like CRAZY, he definitely would not have missed any of the milk. (over 10lbs at 8 days old. started at 9 1/2 and never fell below 9.)

to be honest, with the next babe, i am going to let the hospital nursery give her/him one if they feel she/he would be happy with it. BUT i will nurse like crazy FIRST and OFTEN. but not literally ALL NIGHT LONG the second night after the birth. it was horrible. i left the hospital bleeding and miserable, after 2 hours of sleep in 30 some hours. it made for a bad start to my nursing experience. (which ended wonderfully after 14 months of joyful nursing- i mean, 12 months minus the first 8 weeks.)
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Chelsey333 Guest

My ds got one in the hospital the 2nd night after he was born. After I had nursed him, he was a bit fussy. I nursed him again and he was still fussing a bit. So I gave him one and he went right to sleep. So he has had one on and off since the 2nd night. He doesn't always want one at night. But he is a great nurser and a great sleeper. He has been sleeping thru the night since 2 mos. old. With my first son I waited 3 wks before I gave it to him - he had no problems either.

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

Thanks for the info, I vividly remember day 2 in the hospital, and don't really want to be the human pacifier again, maybe I'll bring one along just in case

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

That second night was exactly why we gave a pacifier then. I had to have some sleep and so did DS. He's 14 weeks now, and uses it to go to sleep and when we're in the car. I don't feel it affected breastfeeding at all. We did have good success with latching before the pacifier though.

Kris

hellosmiletoday Guest

I was so nervous about giving DD paci based on books, but BF has been going great an DD sucks on paci all the time! I gave it to her after a few days -- ped recommended it b/c DD wanted to suck ALL the time and I was extremely sore. DD only likes the First Years infant size pacifier (latex). You might want to bring along several brands of pacifiers. DD at first rejected pacifier. What helped was putting a few drops of mylicon on pacifier. I think the books scare you for nothing. Sucking on pacifier helped immensely with DD's reflux -- the extra saliva soothed her irritation, and we didnt have to give her meds!

helaina Guest

Default Which pacifiers are you using?

For those of you who replied that your babies have had pacifiers since the first week without any trouble nursing, can you please tell me WHICH PACIFIER you are using? I want to buy the one you are having success with!

Thank you in advance,
    Helaina

murpheyblue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Which pacifiers are you using?

We use Avents. I love the cap they come with to keep them clean.

vdrake71 Guest

My DS was given a pacifier in the hospital. I am not sure what day (1st, 2nd, or 3rd). I looked in his plastic bin and there is was. I was not happy and called the nurse because I was worried about nipple confussion. They told me that they gave him a MAM pacifier when they know that he should not be hungry. I was really upset because my DS was losing weight and the nurses and doctors were recommending supplementing BF. I hid the pacifier and was able to start putting weight on him. I really wanted not to give my DS a pacifier, but he was a cluster feeder and I was willing to do anything. I think it was about 3 months that he finally took to the pacifier. Concerning the time to introduce the pacifier, I think it is up to the baby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast