Default Please tell me if my whole 150 oz stash needs to be thrown away......

We had a power outage last night which lasted for about 24 hours due to the hurricane. ( I live in central Florida and we got clobbered). Anyway, the power went out at 8:30 pm last night and at around noon today I found a friend of mine who had power and brought the frozen EBM to her house for storage. I was really hoping it would still be frozen solid when I opened the freezer this morning, since we didn't open it or the fridge the whole time. Well, it wasn't totally frozen solid, but was starting to defrost just a bit around the edges (I freeze in Lansinoh bags)and lay them flat) - it almost looked like a bit of slush around the edges, but not much. My friend has a deep freezer and I'm wondering if I got the milk in there on time.

I would hate to lose this stash, since these days, I feel like I can just barely keep up with DD, and when I do pump, I get such a smaller amount than I used to. I already had to throw out 125 oz after I found out that I had a lipase problem, but I was able to rebuild fast since I had an oversupply issue then.

I was also wondering if the fact that I currently "scald" the milk prior to freezing will help it keep longer anyway, so it doesn't need to be tossed. My husband thinks it will be fine, but I think he's just saying that.

What does everyone think? Safe to eat, or need to be tossed?

Marcy
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Please tell me if my whole 150 oz stash needs to be thrown away......

Did all of it start to thaw? If any of it was still frozen solid, it is probably still fine. I would put the stuff that started to thaw in a separate container (or mark it) and use it ASAP. Personally, I don't toss frozen milk until I thaw it and KNOW that it is bad, since bad milk is pretty unmistakable when thawed.

I really hope that you didn't lose your stash - I'm not sure if I would place any bets on whether it is fine or not.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Default RE: Please tell me if my whole 150 oz stash needs to be thrown away......

I would guess that it will probably be okay. If it was only starting to thaw around the edges, but mostly still solid then it was probably okay to refreeze it.

I would try to use it up as soon as possible though.

I had to move my whole stash of 300 oz during the blackout last summer and it was okay. It was only about 8 hours without power before I found a place to take it though.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

Thanks. I will try to use it up as fast as I can. I actually cycle through it pretty quick, and I believe I don't have anything dated more than 4-6 weeks old at this point.

Marcy
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

I lost my huge stash in the blackout last year. It's pretty unmistakable when the milk has gone bad! I would guess you are fine, but if it's yucky when thawed, or your child won't take it, I would pitch it.

I was crushed to throw it all away, but surprised at how fast I rebuilt it - I just added a pumping session at night.

Since you mentioned you aren't getting as much when you pump, have you replaced your valves/membranes/any other parts on your pump that should be replaced?