barbarhow Guest

Default I need the scoop on poop

We have been battling food allergies and have felt that we were doing pretty well. We have eliminated dairy and eggs so far. The problem is that this poor little guy has not had a solid stool for weeks now. He now has a horrible diaper rash from that. I know it is typical for a toddler to fight diaper changes but this is really uncomfortable for him. I feel so badly for him. I have been feeding him lots of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast with no apparent effect. So now I am worried about a wheat allergy (he tested negative for it a month ago). Any thoughts or advice will be hugely appreciated.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: I need the scoop on poop

Is he teething by any chance? We're still working on the front teeth around here, but my friend's son had horrible poop and rashes when he got his molars in.

I hope Jack feels better soon.

Anna

we mistakenly thought schuyler's egg allergy was a wheat allergy. whole foods has lots of great wheat free things, but i even found a good variety at food lion. not sure what grocery stores you have. there is rice-bread in the frozen organic section, and wheat free waffles. BUT be sure to check for eggs! there is also rice pasta.

what kind of allergy testing have you done? we just did one blood test and eggs were the only thing that came back. schuyler has started having solid stool again, but NEVER with any regularity. just occasionally. it isn't "wrong" looking anymore, though. just not formed. and it didn't give him rash.

what about citrus? or tomatoes? something acidic like that?
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Alex very rarely has nice solid stools. I just figured that's kind of the way he is. Since we had him allergy tested and everything came back negative, I've just chalked it up to his particular digestive system. So it could be that Jack's problem isn't a wheat allergy. Every baby's digestive system is different. Alex does get diaper rash now and then, but once again, I've never been able to pinpoint it to anything specific. Our foolproof remedy is lots of baking soda in the bathtub. Have you tried that? It works much better than any kind of diaper cream.

As an aside, I keep meaning to e-mail you and Katie. I'd really love to get together soon.

barbarhow Guest

See-you guys are all so smart. Yes he is teething-has been for a couple of weeks. He puts his whole fist in his mouth for hours at a time in anticipation of his 2nd year molars.
    Maybe I will try some of the wheat free things from whole foods-if I can ever get myself there.....Thanks for the ideas Liza. We had skin testin done. He was tested for the 6 majors-wheat, milk, egg, casein, peanut and soy. He was positive for milk, egg and casein. He doesn't eat alot of tomato-once in a blue moon he has spaghetti and doesn't eat citrus at all.
    Susan-we'll be having a baking soda bath tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.-Also I was about to send an email to the other Katie (who is in the midst of a move up here) to let us know when she is up for a welcome to Maine get together at my house. I will keep you posted. Thanks again all of you.

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Barbara,
    I have the same problem and my ped's office reassured me that it was probably a combination of teething molars and DS having a "fast system" (their term). The nurse recommended cutting all juice (which I had been giving with water to make sure he drank water--4 oz total in the course of the day over 3 glasses of water) and to cut back on the super high fiber stuff. (We also talked about dairy issues but I know you've got that covered with Jack.) I was giving him the same type of things I ate--wheat bread and pasta, beans, veggies, etc. She suggested (and I looked up Ellyn Satter's section on preschoolers and she reiterated this point too) to balance the whole grain with enriched starches occasionally. So for now that means white bread from Whole Foods and white rice and potatoes every so often and maybe not beans every day! Things have improved, poop-wise, but it's still a bit loose I think due to the teething/drooling.

Good luck with your Jack!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

barbarhow Guest

It may be the molars. He is really chomping on his fist today and seemed pretty uncomfortable until I gave him motrin. I still have never given him juice. Glad I never did-imagine how much worse off we would be. Trying to keep him eating bananas and less of the other fruits that he totally loves. Part of me wants to let him chomp on a metamucil cracker. My DH would have a fit, though. He thinks I am fixated on this. It wouldn't bother me except for the history of allergies and the bad rash. Which is much better after the baking soda bath. Thank you Susan!!!
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's a great idea! Since a lot of the rash is from the acidity of the loose poops, the baking soda neutralizes it. You might even whip up a diaper cream with a little baking soda mixed in. I've never heard of it, but it should work similarly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 14 months and counting