dramamama04 Guest

Default BFing student needing help in essentials

I am a college junior and I will be taking about 2-3 weeks off from school after I have DS. So far I have a glider/ottoman, a boppy pillow and the Playtex premium nurser set. I don't know what pump I'll be using (most likely a Medela or Ameda), but I don't know if I should use the bags or the bottles for storage. The pumpmate system is expensive for only 60 liners for $20. I also heard that I can pump directly into the drop-ins and freeze those as well. Can you use a bottle warmer with the nurser system? Thank you for your help!

hellosmiletoday Guest

Default RE: BFing student needing help in essentials

I only pump occasionally, only 1-2 a day, but here's setup... I use medela PIS, and pump into Avent bottles using adapters. However I would not suggest investing in too many bottles until you know what nipple/bottle system DD likes.

I store BM in Avent bottles (with sealing disk) in refrigerator, and use Lansinoh or Gerber bags for freezing. I dont use bottle warmer...just heat up some water a tad in the microwave (not to boiling). I use microwaver sterilizer for sterilizing everything (bottles, pacis, and even Medela parts)...but not everyone sterilizes so its probably not an essential. Other BF needs include a little bit of lansinoh for hospital and first week or so. Boppy is great for first 2 months...after that DD can sit in my lap.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

I highly recommend getting a Medela nursing stool instead of your ottoman. Several Mommies I know have a much harder time nursing with their feet completely up in the beginning.

The Medela stool is $25 at BRU, etc. and will keep your feet at a slight angle. One of my definite must-haves in the beginning.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

s_gosney Guest

Hi! I don't know anything about the playtex system you had, but I just had to respond since I had my dd mid-semester last year too. She went with me to class fo the remainder of the semester though. I got a KKAFP and she slept soundly through almost every class! Anyway, just wanted to encourage you that others have done it too and so can you! Feel free to email or pm me anytime!