1sttimemom Guest

Default need suggestions for bottle brands (BF and FF)

I'm expecting my second in November and am now a teacher without the luxury of short term disability and paid time off I had with DD(timing was off with conception and summer break!!!) I will not be able to BF after I return to work (12 wks)and pumping is not an option due to my teaching schedule. With DD my BM was not enough and we had to supplement with formula. We used Avent for FF and EBM. I had researched and they were "the best". I found them to be easy to clean and mix formula but we have a dishwasher, so cleaning isn't really an issue. But, they did leak and I had to readjust the cover etc. I'm thinking maybe there's a good bottle out there without this problem. Any suggestions? (We still have bottles, rings and covers that have been sterilized etc so the cost of buying just nipples is minimal compared to an entirely new system...but leaking bottles are no fun either.)

jupster75 Guest

Default RE: need suggestions for bottle brands (BF and FF)

I used the Dr. Brown's bottles when DD was younger. She had very bad gas and these were the only bottles that helped. The downside to these bottles are the extra pieces. I never had any problems with leaking (unless I didn't put bottle pieces together correctly). Also, you can't put too many things in the dishwasher basket or the vent tubes do not get completely clean.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/3/16/3/-5/.png

iujen94 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: need suggestions for bottle brands (BF and FF)

We also used Avent bottles and had the leaking problem. I read on another post here that Avent bottles have something of a "sweet spot" - if the lid is screwed on too loose, the bottle will leak, but if it's screwed on too tight, it'll also leak. Sure enough, the next bottle that I made that leaked I loosened the lid up just a bit and it didn't leak anymore. Maybe that will help?