Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EBM Storage

Default EBM Storage

What's the best EBM storage system out there? I will be returning to work in month and wanted to find the best method for storing EBM supply. Bags or bottles? Any suggestion on which brand?

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: EBM Storage

I like the Gerber bags. Lay them flat to freeze them and then they stack well. I put them in a big Rubbermaid container and have them in rows by date, so I know which ones to grab first.

Kris

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd also recommend bags over bottles. You can freeze them lying flat. That way, they thaw quite quickly (just a few minutes in hot water). I would assume that for a frozen bottle of milk you'd have to do it overnight in the fridge.

I personally preferred the Lansinoh bags but you can try both and see which ones you like. They were the same price at my Target.

Also, since you are working - I found it easier to carry bags of milk home than bottles (lighter - I take a bus and subway, so not having to carry more than I needed was always an important factor.) I would just drop off the bags of milk at daycare when I picked up DD so they had milk for the next day. (it also warms up very quickly when in the bag).

Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

the best storage method for you depends on you and your situation. You'll probably go through several before you find what works best for you. Here are the ones I tried and the pros and cons

1. evenflo 4 oz bottles
    pros: I could pump directly into them, freeze in them, and feed from them. No spilling no wasting even a drop.
    cons: they are expensive (though reusable) and they take up a lot of room in the freezer. They only work with certain nipples.

2. Gerber bags or Lansinoh bags
    pros: the are the cheapest option. They take up less room and thaw quickly. (I liked the Gerber better, they seemed to seal easier)
    cons: you have to pour into them after you pump. I spilled 2 ounces on my keyboard once.

3. Pumpmate system
    pros: pump, freeze, and feed all in the same container so no spilling or waste.
    cons: more expensive than bags. They leak if you don't transport them upright

4. Playtex One Step
    pros: pump, freeze, and feed all in the same container
    cons: expensive, you only get 4 in a pack, so it could not really be used for a freezer stash. I had one leak in the refrigerator at work and lost 6 ounces.

My favorite was the Pumpmate system.
    ...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

Thanks for all the feedback. Think I'll need to get some bags for freezing, and perhaps some containers for the fridge too.

vdrake71 Guest

I currently pump into a bottle and then transfer them into the Gerber bags. I love the Gerber bags because they lay flat and then I transfer the bags every 15-30 days into plastic super market and place them into a deep freezer.

I pump into bottles and then transfer into bags. I lay the bags flat for freezing. I like the Lansinoh bags that are available at Target.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

audys Guest

I started with Lansinoh bags and various bottles and now use just the Gerber Seal 'n Go bags - they fit my baby's bottle, are easy to seal and are very compact. In fact, I now use just 2 binder clips to attach the bags to my pump shields (Medela Pump in Style) and pump right into the bags, seal and store. Works great at work and a lot less time cleaning parts.

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb '04

I am the weirdo here that prefers bottle-type storage. My DH is a SAHD, and he hated the bags. Since I work in an NICU, I am able to get 4oz breast milk storage containers made by Ross Labs (Similac). I pump about 3-5 oz per breast per session, so its usually 3-4oz per bottle. I have about 35 frozen bottles in the freezer. I looked on the net to see if you can buy these things, and haven't found anywhere yet. Another option is sterile urinalysis containers, like this: https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?gid=174396&cid=1328 Our unit used these before we got the little bottles. I think this is an intriguing option for those who prefer a solid container, since buying 30+ 4oz bottles is cost-prohibitive. You could buy a case of 100 for about $.50 per container. I get leftovers (unused) that were from opened packages, and would otherwise be recycled. I like the less spillage factor with the bottles, as I am a klutz, and the less leakage in my cooler during the day. (I realize that bags don't always leak, but they'd leak frequently the way I was using them)
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Timmersmom Guest

I guess I am a bad mommy, but I just used Hefty freezer bags that had a ziploc closure. My pediatrician gave me this idea, and it worked fine. Like previous posters have mentioned, with bags it was easy to stack up "milk shingles" in the freezer, and they could be defrosted very quickly.

Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
    Caroline 6/25/04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast