Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default RE: Formula label misleading vs. breastmilk??....

I don't think it is apples and oranges at all.

I've never seen someone say "you had better put your baby in a car seat or you might get fined by the police". That's not really what gets the focus, know what I mean?

"The law" is not germane to the comparison. And anyway, the law does not mandate rear facing past 1 year and 20 pounds, and the law does not mandate older children to be in a harnessed booster, and those things get discussed as well. FOr example, if you see a child who is old enough by the law to be out of a car seat, but they are sitting with the shoulder strap of the seatbelt behind their body, that's not safe, it's risky, and I think there are plenty of people who have no qualms saying so.

It's a parenting choice. One that affects risks.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: carseats v. breastfeeding

>I've never seen someone say "you had better put your baby in
    >a car seat or you might get fined by the police". That's not
    >really what gets the focus, know what I mean?

What gets the focus? I think people feel empowered to say something about carseats because they know that the law is on their side.

>"The law" is not germane to the comparison.

Only because the comparison that you are trying to make is a ridiculous one.

>FOr example, if you see a child who is old enough by the law
    >to be out of a car seat, but they are sitting with the
    >shoulder strap of the seatbelt behind their body, that's not
    >safe, it's risky, and I think there are plenty of people who
    >have no qualms saying so.

I wonder if those are the same people who have no qualms telling a FFing mother that she made the "wrong" choice? But to answer your original questions, I guess I would have to say that yes, telling someone that her carseat or placement of the carseat is inferior is nasty and rude.

>It's a parenting choice. One that affects risks.

Well, if we extrapolate the argument out far enough, we could say that every choice about being parents, even the choice to *become* parents, is a risk. So what?
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Default RE: carseats v. breastfeeding

You and I can just agree to disagree on this.

Once one side of the discussion has been called ridiculous, there really isn't anywhere else to go with it.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I bought a carseat for a friend using an unsafe one, I did not attack or guilt her- I helped her.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

>>To the PP, economics is worlds different from medical research
    >(my DH has a degree in economics so I have a passing
    >familiarity with it.)

Just an FYI----B.A. Economics, B.S. Math with Statistics. Economics is just the extra "fun" degree that I decided on in all that spare time- it was that or physics! I never said I was a medical expext, just a stats skeptic who happens to have bit of expertise. Many doctors have done many studies that are bogus so it behooves the reader to be informed and educate themselves rather than defer to or blindly believe people since they were doctors.

>And for the record, I also eat brownies. But I am
    >intellectually honest enough to acknowledge and accept that
    >they aren't good for me. :)

I let you assume your risk (and it is really a big risk, depending on how many you eat, how long you eat them for and what else you eat- bad diet KILLS) without judgement so why not let me assume my risk without judgment? Why not support all parents and not just those of us who agree with the party line??

How about a post like "I was in the grocery store and read a package of brownies that said "Made with wholesome butter" and not to offend anyone but what kind of mis informed sugar (addict) eater would think butter was wholesome? What if people read this and ate more brownies...." I reckon I would, rightfully, offend somebody!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Default RE: I don't think that people can't understand advertising

>I think that, until recently, everyone did not know that
    >breastmilk is the optimal food for babies. And, from my
    >dealing with new moms in the NICU, there are still a lot of
    >folks who don't know.

That is so true Tarah. I recently got together with an old friend from highschool. She doesn't have any kids but she has friends who do. There were actually two other moms with babies there and both were bottle feeding. When DS started to fuss I went out on the balconey and sat down to nurse him. I usually NIP all the time but for some reason it felt strange amongst the bottles. My friend came out and she looked at me and said incredulously, "Are you nursing?" I replied that I was. She paused for a minute and then whispered something. I couldn't hear and asked her to repeat. So she says a little louder, "You mean there's still milk in there?" LOL, I couldn't help but laugh. DS was 11 months at the time, and yes, I have plenty of milk.

When DH and I moved back home we merged right back with the same friends we had grown up with. We still hang out together all the time, but now everyone is married or engaged and several have kids. It's great because there are three good friends of ours that have babies within months of DS and I love knowing they will grow up together. But would you believe me if I said I am the ONLY one that breastfeeds? And this goes for out friends with older kids too, they were all bottle fed. I can honestly say I know no one in our "circle" that breastfeeds. It doesn't bother me at all and I have nothing against their situation. It just seems strange to me because bf'ing DS is so natural to me and I don't intend to quit any time soon.

I meet about once a month with some moms from MDC and attend LLL, which I love because it's a friendly, familiar ear.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5