vinny Guest

Default formula amount and frequency

my DM will be 5 months old in one weeks time. he has been on formula for the last month...eating cereal for the last two weeks...and began eating green beans, stage 1 today. he typically drinks milk 6 times (5 ounces) in a 24 hour period. that means he averages 30 ounces a day. Is this enough for his age? i've read that he should be drinking at least 37 ounces by now? Also, i plan to feed him his solids (ie. one serving of green beans and one serving of cereal, for now) in between his formula feedings. What do others do? Any advice on this topic?

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: formula amount and frequency

Anything from 30-40 seems normal and is the guideline I was given by my ped. We went exclusively to formula around 5-6 months and Toby was taking about 35 ounces on average at 6-7 months. We were doing 2-3 solid meals at 6-7 months old. I would mix it up, slowly adding new foods to keep it interesting for him. Carrots are a great veggie to add since they are sweet. 30 ounces seems fine- your baby sounds satisfied!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Just curious... what were the guidelines given by your ped? I Just want to see if DD is drinking enough also. Thanks!

ghs517 Guest

Our ped said when DD was around this age (she's 11 mos now) that she should be getting a minimum of 24 oz of formula and that an average of 32 oz a day would be ideal. HTH.

G, mom to Bella

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Looking at my ped visit notes, at Toby's 4 month visit my ped told me that 30 was the minimum she would expect to see a baby his size eating (big baby) by his 6 month visit. She said that up to 40 was ok if he was feeding on demand. Since he was still partially breastfed and EBM fed at 4 months I was unsure as to how much he was getting total. After he went totally to formula at 5-6 months, I found that with feeding on demand he was within that range most often.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.