Default Help with feeding an 8 month old and constipation question

Hi everyone,

My baby is now 8 months old and doesn't seem to like solids too much. She will eat some oatmeal and that's about it. I started giving her solids at 6 months. To sneak in some fruits and/or veggies, I've been mixing it into the oatmeal....sometimes she'd eat alittle of it but most of the time she will reject it. She also hated rice cereal. Any suggestions will be appreciated. BTW, I give her Earth's Best and Gerber.

I have one other question regarding constipation. My baby doesn't take a bottle, so when the ped says to give her prune juice for her constipation, I'm lost. I've tried it in a sippy cup but she hates the taste of it and refuse to drink it. I've also tried giving her prune juice mixed with apple juice and she won't drink it either. She won't eat prunes......I think it gives her gas and makes her tummy uncomfortable.

TIA

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Help with feeding an 8 month old and constipation question

At 8 months, Colwyn was on almost all finger foods. He really didn't like being spoon fed. Have you tried giving her a bite of really soft fruit?

As for consipation.. hav you tried pears? Either pureed or juice might work.

audys Guest

Had the same problem with my DS - my ped recommended more green veggies and they helped a lot,

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb, 2004

Thank you both. We've tried pears.....she doesn't like them. So far we've only done peas and again she doesn't like them. She doesn't seem to like juice (even though it is sweet). However, she doesn't seem to mind drinking water.

I'm worried about the feedings because I'm afraid she isn't getting enough vitamins and such.

Thanks again.

vdrake71 Guest

My DS is also 8 months old and not really eating a lot and very constipated. For the constipation the Dr. told us to give him prune juice. We give it to him in his rice cereal, on a spoon,or in a regular adult cup. I really don't know if the prune juice is helping. I was told to try food that begins with a P for constipation. It still did not help, so the Dr. prescribed Miralax and boy did it help. My DS was going every 4-6 days and know when we give him Miralax it happens that day.

As far as the food issue, I heard that there might be a time coming soon where they start to eat more. Maybe at 9 months? Does anyone know about this?

FYI - my DS gets some rice cereal in the morning and we try to give him Earth's Best at night. Sometimes he eats some of the jar food and other times he is not hungry. I am not too worried since he has been in the 90% for his weight the whole time.

lisaE Guest

Peaches do the trick around here for the constipation. He's not crazy about them, but he will take them.

There is an organic kind- I think it's the "Nature's Goodness"? Gerber organic? Anyway... peaches.

llcoddington Guest

My dd wasn't interested in foods for the longest while and then overnight she suddenly became interested. I know easier said than done, but don't worry! She will eat when she is ready.

Lauren didn't like rice or oatmeal. I found a winner in Barley cereal. And now, she will eat all three.

We have dealt with constipation off and on. I posted a question about a month ago and got a great suggestion- stewed prunes. Just take a bag of prunes (I bought some organic ones at Whole Foods but any would work.) Put in some water and boil until they fall apart. Make sure you don't boil all the water out like I did the first batch. Burnt prunes stink! Then puree the prunes. I then froze small portions in ice cube trays for later. These taste so much better than the jarred prunes.

Another trick we have found- pureed beans! I bought a can of no salt organic black beans and pureed them. Lauren loves them and they help tremendously with the constipation issue. I have some dried beans that I plan to cook up in a large batch to freeze as soon as I find the time!

Lauren won't drink out of a sippy yet either and never took a bottle. I have been giving her sips of water out of a regular cup. Messy but that's the only way she will drink!

Good luck! And let us know if you find something that works!

Lana
    mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

temt1219 Guest

We have some issues with constipation as well! Dd is totally on finger foods - she NEVER ate baby food. and i tried for months, but eventually i just gave the rest of what we had away. She also never took a bottle, but drinks water out of a straw cup, though she won't drink juice (prune, pear, etc.) So - my latest solution is that I use "simply fiber" cereal, and she either eats the little pieces by themselves or i crush them and mix them into what i feed her (like mac and cheese). That seems to be working for us now - but to be honest with you, she still only poops every other day and it is a lot of work for her, though they are still kind of soft (sorry to be gross!) We did try dried prunes cut up into little pieces and other fruits, but she hasn't been too into them. The fiber cereal seems to work for now. I wish you luck!

Thanks for all your input everyone. She is still only having a BM once every 7-8 days. I'm still offering solids though she more or less consistently refuses it (this is getting quite expensive). However, we're not giving up.........hopefully she will start eating once she hits 9 months?!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At 8 months, solids are just for fun and practice. She is breastfeeding, correct? Then she is getting her vitamins -- don't worry too much.

Other choices for constipation include flax seed oil (takes only a small amt, a teaspoon or so), water is good for constipation, backing off on cereals may be indicated.

How is she constipated? Dry hard-to-pass poops? Just pooping less? Some change in bowel habits is to be expected once solids are started.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 15 months and counting