Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aliceinwonderland Guest

Default What's a good book, on solds and such??

basically "baby food"?? slowly gearing up for solids here :)

Default RE: What's a good book, on solds and such??

"Child of Mine, Feeding With Love and Good Sense" by Ellyn Satter

just use your common sense and ignore some of it. She's not exactly pro-breastfeeding. But it's mostly good.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Feeding the Whole Family. I forget the authors name (I am not at home so i can't just get it off the bookcase!). This book is great for healthy meals and for taking the baby's food from the larger entree ingredients.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

lisbeth916 Guest

My best friend is a physician and has two kids (3 1/2 and 1 1/2). I am pregnant with my first. Anyway, she loaned me a really great book called Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron.

Now I just did a search online to get the author because I am currently too lazy to go into the bedroom to pick up the book. The first online hit I clicked on said as seen on Good Morning America, something about Cindy Crawford and check out WEBMD.com for blah blah blah.

Now I was instantly drawn to this book because both my husband and I have really bad allergies and this book focuses on when foods should be given (at what age) the most allergic foods. But it also looks at feeding your baby fresh foods instead of the jar food. It tells you how to make (and save money) your own baby food, then you freeze it in ice cube trays, then place in freezer bags and thaw out as needed. NOw you may think that making your own baby food is hard, but it really does not look it. Mainly because it is one ingredient. For example, instead of buying baby cereal, you buy whole grain rice, pulverize it in the blender (dry) then it turns out like the flakes of cereal. Then you cook enough for a couple days and store in the fridge.

If you have specific questions, feel free to let me know and I will look it up and see if it has that info that you are looking for.

Oh yeah, there are also really great charts you could copy and place on the fridge for babysitters or whoever, that way they can see things like NO HONEY FOR BABIES! HTH ~Beth

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a few. My fav is Super Baby Foods. i use this a LOT for all the reference stuff. i haven't made any recipes yet. i also have and like First Foods and Mommy Made and Daddy Too.

Like the PP poster said, it is really not that hard to make food for your baby. mostly it's steaming something and then mashing it up and voila! you have a bunch of cubes of food to use whenever! my DH and I did a taste test with sweet potatoes that i baked myself and pureed, and a jar of organic sweet potatoes and there was just no comparison!

GOOD LUCK!

Anne + DD 10-03

llcoddington Guest

I have Super Baby Food and really like it as a reference book. Especially the back which explains how to cook certain foods. I bought Child of Mine, Feeding with Love and Good Sense, but I sold it. This book is a how to feed your child, not a cookbook. I also really like www.wholesomebabyfood.com for good information.

Mostly, I just steam and mix up foods for Lauren. I don't go by recipes. For example, I pureed brocolli and mango together. Strange combo but she loved it. I've also done pears and green beans together.

I have seen other books that have specific recipes for baby food. If you have a library nearby, that's a good place to start.

Lana
    mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

I just took a class at my local hospital on starting solids. The pedi nurse recommended the Frest Start Cworkbook from www.freshbaby.com. It's a combination of a workbook and cookbook so you can record what foods you intro and reactions. Check it out. Here's the description from the website. Good luck!

"The Cworkbook includes recipes for over 40 fruits, vegetables and protein sources and feeding information including:

Healthy eating habits
    Benefits of homemade baby food
    Introducing solid foods
    Dietary essentials for babies
    Making and serving Fresh Baby food
    Kitchen tools
    Safety basics
    Food choices
    Fresh Baby to go
    Managing your time
    Using the workbook space in the Fresh Start Cworkbook enables you to record feeding information, such as food allergies, and dates foods were introduced. The Fresh Start Cworkbook is all you need to keep track of your baby's feeding program."
    K
    DD#1 05/09

hellosmiletoday Guest

Looks like you and I are on the same wavelength....I just went shopping for baby feeding supplies at BRU two days ago, and have some baby food books in my "shopping cart" on Amazon.com.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward Mommy made... b/c Super Baby Foods did not receive as good reviews. Or maybe I'll get both.

One bit of info that I just read that may or maynot be covered in books. Do not home prepare beets, turnips, carrots, collard greens and spinach due to possibility of nitrate overload (in AAP book, March 2003).

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Yikes! Carrots and greens are a major part of our diet.

Goodness! Carrots and greens are huge in our house. I have given Toby quite a few home prepared carrots and a modest amount of greens (in veggie juice and mashed for the carrots). I should get the AAP book to go over this section. Does anyone else have some background on this?
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

hellosmiletoday Guest

Default RE: Yikes! Carrots and greens are a major part of our diet. EDITED WITH INFO.

It is on pg 211 of my book, but I have an older edition...newest is June 2004.

I received book free by signing up to Publix grocery store's Baby club.

Here's the info...I do not mean to scare you and have no idea whether the AAP book is trustworthy, since AAP seems to switch their guidelines randomly back and forth.

"Do Not Home-Prepare These Foods

Beets, Turnips, Carrots, Collard Greens, Spinach. In some parts of the country, these vegetables contain large amounts of nitrates, a chemical that can cause an unusual type of anemia (low blood count) in young infants. Baby food companies are aware of this problem and screen the produce they buy for nitrates; they also avoid buying these vegetables in parts of the country where nitrates have been detected. Since you cannot test for this chemical yourself, it's safer to use commercially prepared forms of these foods, especially while your child is an infant. If you choose to prepare them at home anyway, serve them fresh and don't store them. Storage of thes foods may actually increase the amount of nitrates in them."
    From AAP caring for your baby and young child brith to 5, 2003.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast