Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Official recommendations about feeding -- links needed

I need links to official recommendations on feeding babies (ie, from the AAP, WHO, and the like). My pediatrician keeps giving advice I know isn't correct (not terrible, but outdated), and I'm considering whether to stick with her or find someone else. Either way, I'd like to send her the up-to-date information, because I don't like to think of her not giving the best advice to other parents.

She seems BF-friendly, so I'm not worried about that; but I need official recommendations on vitamin supplementation, giving water before six months/fluoride supplementation, and starting solids before six months.

(This comes up because she's unhappy that I've not been giving DS water so he gets fluoride; and she told me at today's appointment that it's time to start solids. He's not developmentally ready for that, as far as I can tell!)

Dyonia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Official recommendations about feeding -- links needed

This is what I found on fluoride (just a quick look) -- there is a table at the bottom of the page of the AAP reccomendations ...however, it also says that BF babies do not need additional fluoride (a couple sentences above the table) and no fluoride before 6 months http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030900.asp

Crabby baby eruption! Will post more later

audys Guest

The Baby 411 book IS great - it's very up to date on food and when to start food, vitamins, fluoride, etc.

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb, 2004

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like kellymom.com, there are lots of links at the end of each article, including AAP and WHO.
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

hellosmiletoday Guest

Default Supplemental flouride questions!!

I looked at the link, and it seems as though babies do not need additional flouride only IF THEIR TAP WATER CONTAINS FLOURIDE. From what I understand, if the baby drinks bottled water, then he/she will need some additional flouride (i.e. in the form of nursery water).

One other question...if I drink bottled water (which doesnt have flouride), then my baby will not receive flouride...that point seems never addressed....i.e. the content of flouride in BM. Should I be drinking nursery water too :) !!!!

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04