swan01 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Ameda Purely Yours or Medela Pump in Style Advanced?

Any opinions or preferences? I am due in 2-3 weeks and don't really know how breastfeeding is going to work out, I just know that I want to do it for maybe 6 months? I will be going back to work after 3 months, so I would like to get a double pump that is pretty fast. I was initially going to just rent from the hospital for a month or so to see how it goes, but it seems like that is going to cost a lot up front $50ish for the parts and $60 for the rental. It seems like it would be a better investment to just go ahead and spend good money on a good pump.

Any advice? Suggestions?

Default RE: Ameda Purely Yours or Medela Pump in Style Advanced?

There are a lot of opinions as to which is better. It gets discussed here a lot. :)

I chose the Purely Yours after searching the archives here and reading all the opinions. It worked for me, I pumped at work for 14 months.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

My son was a preemie so I had to pump for him while he was in the NICU. The hospital provided me w/ a hospital grade rental Medela. It was okay and if that were all I had I would have used it.

However, I preferred to use my Ameda Purely Yours pump. I LOVED it. It was so easy to clean and the many different cycles were great. I bought it (thankfully!) while pregnant after tons of time spent researching it. (this was before discovering BBB)

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote here for the Ameda. My DD is only 6 1/2 weeks, so I haven't used the pump at work yet, but I've been building my freezer stash and it's great. For the first few weeks I only used the manual pump attachment that came with it (when my daughter would get too sleepy to eat on both sides). That manual pump worked great to get 2 or 3 ounces out of the un-eaten on breast and I was able to get a stash of about 50 ounces by the time she was 4 weeks old. Also, it was nice at 2 am to not have to bother with plugging in the electric pump. Now I've been using the electric pump and can get 7 ounces in about 5 minutes. I've never used the PIS so I can't compare, but I've been very happy with the Ameda.

Good Luck!

Susan
    DD - Avery born 8/5/04

Yet another vote for the Purely Yours. I had both PY and PIS (not advanced) and preferred the PY for many, many reasons. If it broke for baby #2 someday, I'd replace it w/another PY, even with having the PIS on hand.

That said, you probably won't go wrong with either....

Nicole's Mom 7/03

I been using the Ameda Purely Yours since my daughter was born 4 months ago. At first I would only use the single pump to get my milk going and then to empty what she hadn't finished to build up my stash. At 2 months I started pumping both breasts at the same time. 10 minutes and I get 5 oz but each person varies. www.Babycenter.com has some great deals on pumps. I got mine with the backpack for under $200! Also, I suggest the freezer bags with zip lock feature. I love the Lansinoh ones because they have two zip things!
    have a blessed day
    Katherine
    K
    DD#1 05/09

vdrake71 Guest

I am using the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I cannot compare the two since I have never owned the Ameda Purely Yours. The advanced is great and I have been mainly using it at work since I returned to work after 3 months of leave. The reason I like the advance so much is that I do not have to mess with a lot of dials. You just turn it on and it goes. I will admit that I did have to return my first advance pump, but the customer service was great and they shipped me a pump the very next day.

swan01 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks so much for all your advice! I think I am going to go with the Purely Yours based on input from this board and research on-line. I found this great website:

http://www.breastfeedingworld.com/purely_yours_pick.htm

that recommends the Purely Yours over the PIS and gives good reasons why, so maybe someone else could benefit from the link also.

Thanks again!

I agree with the reasons on that site. The only thing I would question is the first one:

"1) The Purely Yours pump cycles very closely to a hospital grade pump"

I would think that is true for the PIS as well.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

searchdog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Great Price on Pumps

$148.50 for Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump Dual Kit with Carry All and Accessories

I just happened to be looking through this part of the boards and since so many people love the Ameda Purely Yours, (which I just got yesterday, after ordering the day before) I thought I would let everyone know that I found what I think was a great deal on my pump. I got an Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump Dual Kit with Carry All and Accessories for $148.50. No tax and free shipping. They have the backpack version as well as the pump only with no accessories. Like I said I ordered it Tuesday morning and recieved it Wednesday morning. They are an authorized Ameda dealer according to the Ameda website. I also went ahead and got extra valves for only $1.65 each. They have minimums to order on certain items to keep prices that low but it isn't horrible. Hope this helps someone that is still looking to purchase a pump.

They will also price match so if it is cheaper on a different site just e-mail them the link and they will change the price. I did this and they did lower there price to match the competitor within minutes of recieving my e-mail.

http://www.qualitymedicalsupplies.co...A_PURELY_YOURS