asha is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Switching to cows milk and travel: Need some advice

Hi moms,
    My son is now about 10.5 months old. His doc says I should introduce cows milk and slowly switch over. DS is currently on formula (for the past month, couldnt BF anymore). He is doing fine, so this change should be fine. However, we are planning to go to India for a month. He will be 13 months old then. I am scared about changing too many things at once.
    Cow's milk here is completely different from how it is there. (DH and I cannot digest cow's milk here, but we are fine there) I guess cows are fed differently. I am considering postponing the switch to cow's milk till after we come back. His doc thinks he will be fine. I am a bit sceptical though. WIth the travel, new place, new ppl, climatic changes, time zone difference, I think he has enough new things to deal with. I dont want to add to the list.
    Has any one had similar experiences? Any suggestions/ opinions?
    TIA,
    ~Asha
    mom to Akshay 11/14/2003

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Switching to cows milk and travel: Need some advice

It's awfully early to be switching him over - the AAP recommends waiting until baby is past his first birthday. He will be fine on formula through 13 months, so I'd personally wait to make the change. Though I had a baby who had a rough transition (lactose intolerant) so I'm skeptical that babies transition as easily as your ped makes it sound!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I'd also stay with formula. There's no reason he can't stay on it. I would definitely bring it from home though. You can't assume you will be able to find the same one over there. And even if you CAN find it, there's no assurance it's the same version he's used to now.

The last thing you need is to be traveling so far from home with a baby and an upset belly.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would agree to stay on the formula. Switching at 10.5 months seems awfully early. DS stayed on formula until just past 12 months and we slowly switched over to whole milk. He was on whole milk only at 13 months. His solid food consumption increased greatly at that time as well, so we went through those changes that accompanied the switch to whole milk. So I would say to wait to switch until you return to minimize any changes while you are travelling.

The only thing I would be concerned about is if you are bringing powdered or concentrate formula to India and need to add water to it you need to make sure you are using the cleanest possible water, since your son is not used to water in India, just as he would not be used to the milk in India. You might want to bring a portable water filter specifically made for travelling (they can be found at camping websites usually) or at least boil any water you would use to mix his formula.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02