Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aliceinwonderland Guest

Default FOOD Processor for baby food, and homemade question??

I don't have one at all, and was wondering what the best "tool" is for making baby food...I know bananas and such you can just mash with a fork, but was wondering about more stubborn fruits/veggies.

Also, do any of you make baby food once or twice a week and then freeze? Is much of the nutritional value lost that way??

THANKS so much

rrosen is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: FOOD Processor for baby food, and homemade question??

Eri,
    There are many *tools* that will work. If I were you I would not go crazy spending a lot of money on special equiptment. You will be very surprised how quickly Erik will progress from finely pureed food to more coarse texture.

My favorite tool was something that looked like this:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13455.jpg

I would blend it right in the pot I had used for steaming it. Very easy and minimal cleanup. You just vary the amount of steaming liquid you include in the puree as Erik is able to handle thicker texture.

I found that very quickly Gabrielle was able to handle almost all mashed food. I pureed for a very very short period of time. I no longer prepared the food ahead of time when she was able handle it mashed. I would just steam a small amount of whatever it was in the microwave and fork smash it. She went to finely diced food shortly after that. My advice would be to not go crazy filling your freezer with icecubes of pureed food. I did and we did not need nearly all of it. I used the ones that were leftover to add to sauces and other foods.

Good luck! Making babyfood is very easy. Don't make it difficult. Steam, puree, eat!

Have fun!

nitaghei Guest

>I don't have one at all, and was wondering what the best
    >"tool" is for making baby food...I know bananas and such you
    >can just mash with a fork, but was wondering about more
    >stubborn fruits/veggies.
    >

I have a Cusinart mini-prep, which is a great little food processor, and very useful to have a kitchen too generally. What I have is older model of this.

http://tinyurl.com/58hmo

I had it pre-baby, and used this to prep his food. I really didn't do pureed food, because he was used to texture after the first month of cereal. I basically followed Satter's plan - first texture, then variety. And DS is a great eater, and was mostly self-feeding by 11 months old.

>Also, do any of you make baby food once or twice a week and
    >then freeze? Is much of the nutritional value lost that
    >way??

Yes, I made and froze little cubes once a week, except for stuff like banana. I don't think there's any significant loss of nutritional value from freezing. All it took was about half an hour to 45 minutes to make a massive quantity - sometime even enough for 2 weeks. Especially when it was squash and sweet potato.
    >
    >THANKS so much

HTH

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you're going to invest in a tool for making baby food, don't spend a ton of money because there's no need.

DH knew I wanted to make baby food long before we got pg, and when we got pg, since I wouldn't let him buy any baby stuff, he went to town buying me baby food cookbooks, a food mill, food processor, fancy blender, etc., and it was overkill. I like having the appliances because they've come in handy for other things, but the only thing I used to make baby food was the blender maybe 3-4 times and then the food processor for a couple of months.

How often you make baby food depends on your baby - DS loves food, and has from the beginning, so I never bothered freezing. Food went from the processor to a bowl in the fridge and then I'd just scoop out what I needed. I'd guess we went through about 3-4 cups of food per day, and we did what we could to have some variety in there. Breakfast was never anything we couldn't mash with a fork and add cereal to, and then I'd have two stocks of food in the fridge - one for lunch, one for dinner.

Good Luck!

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

jubilee Guest

I simply used a baby food grinder. It worked great and didn't cost a fortune... and I could take it with me anywhere because no electric power needed. I made fruit and veggie puree a few times a week, and often pureed something from our dinner too.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13532.jpg

aliceinwonderland Guest

That is very cool! Where do I get this??

rrosen is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Try here:
    http://store.yahoo.com/kidsurplus/kcof700.html

There is a munchkin version too that is even less expensive but it is currently out of stock.

HTH

pritchettzoo Guest

You can get a food mill at a kitchen supply place or somewhere like Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It wouldn't have the cool box to match though. ;)

Anna

I just used the puree option on a regular blender to make baby food. I agree with what other posters have said - don't spend too much money buying special equipment because the usage will be short. Foods that we pureed included sweet potatoes, apples, pears, mangos, and brocolli. I froze in ice cube trays. I only pureed each of these once or twice because by the time he finished most of the freezer stash, he was ready to move past pureed food.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

sdbc Guest

did you have to strain the food after pureeing? we have a little food processor, but we were thinking about getting a food mill since it can puree it at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast