Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Returning to Work advice/suggestions -- LONG! :)

Thanks for the side-lying tips, Tarah! I will give it a try this evening. I was trying to lay her on her side, too, which wasn't working well.

WRT swaddling, do you curl DS's legs up? Now that she is getting bigger, she is resisting when I try to do that (but is OK with having one arm/hand inside).

We swaddle only his arms now, with a miracle blanket. If we don't, he can't really sleep at all, alone, and with me when cosleeping he grabs at me constantly, and wakes himself up. I keep thinking I'll be swaddling him in a bedsheet when he's in high school, but you know how it is with sleep, you do what works.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's always my preference as well -- nurse whenever you can. It's optimum for maintaining your supply, though it sounds like you will have an advantage by getting to nurse at lunch. IMO it is much quicker to nurse at night than to fix a bottle (for baby, especially). But, whatever works!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

lampes Guest

I have been trying to encourage my DH to be a SAHD so I can't be part of that group. However I have been WOHM since week 6. I think your breastfeeding situation sounds good although, I don't think I could pump at the 6 am like you do. Too tiring.

Lily's sleep schedule is like Tarah's Lad. Co sleeping helps enormously and we all go without sleep on many nights. The most uninterrupted sleep I have gotten is about 4 hours. It is tough but amazingly enough your body or your mind or something learns to compensate for this. I tell myself alot that this is really just a tiny microcosm of my life to go without sleep and that the sacrifice is working. Some days, I repeat this mantra many many times. Grin.

For side lying, it really didn't work well until my baby's head got bigger so that her mouth was more even with the nipple. Until then, I used to prop her head up with my arm.

I also do the "dream feeding." No matter what the time is or the last time she ate, right before I go to bed, I feed her while she is sleeping. I think that gets me an extra hour of sleep but not always.

I envy you seeing your baby at lunch. You will love that. Best of luck.

I think I must be a "good" pumper b/c it doesn't bother me to pump at all. I can get a good let down really fast and am done in about 10 minutes.

As for the late-night bottle, Simone doesn't care if its cold or not, so I was thinking if we had one in the 'fridge DH could just grab it. But I think, as many of you pointed out, I should BF at night to maintain my supply. Usually when she wakes up, she only wants to eat on one side for about 15 minutes . . . I can handle that.

I really like the idea of "dream feedings", though, and will definitely be trying that!!

And I definitely tell myself that the short-blocks of sleep are temporary and it is so worth it to breastfeed.

Thanks again!

pamelal Guest

My DH is also a SAHD. I actually get up almost always at night. It kind of evolved into this for a couple reasons: 1) I am a very light sleeper and wake up whenever DD wakes up, yet I can fall back to sleep very easily, 2) DH is a very heavy sleeper and doesn't wake up to her all the time and has a very hard time initially falling asleep, 3) DH offers the pacifier but doesn't seem to work, 4) DD is pretty small so I want to make sure she is eating all she should, 5) It gives me more time with DD. This was all fine when she was waking up once or twice at night but now she is teething so she is waking up 5 times so we may re-work the plan. Last Monday I went to bed at 9 and she didn't wake up until 4:00am, it was heaven...

You may find that once you go back to work she gets on more of a schedule. When I was home I nursed DD at least every 2 hours with no apparent schedule. Once she was on the bottles she was eating every 3-4 hours and sleeping regular naps. I feed DD at 5:30am and she sleeps until 7:00am (used to be 8-9am). I then pump around 6:30am at home and then at work at 11:00am and 3:00pm. She has a bottle at 8:30am, Noon and 3:00pm. I feed DD when I get home at 6:00pm and then at bedtime at 7:30pm.

I work from home a couple days a week, however I do still pump. I have never had an issue with my supply and it helps us just to stick to a consistent schedule.

Good luck!
    Pam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2